WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

German Umlaut and line breaks in 'Blogging via Email' (7 posts)

  1. steinhaeuser
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    Dear WP-friends,

    I just tried blogging via email the second time, now with WP2.0.

    Still two errors still show up:
    1. The email text shows up with new line breaks plus '='
    2. German Umlaut are also substituted by somthing like '=4C', which seems to be the alpha-numeric substitute of the letter.

    I know, that my WP blog is running wit UTF-8. Thus I tried to send my email in this coding, too. But nothing changed.

    The second error could be solved by using the HTML tag e.g. '<.&.a.u.m.l.>' for ä/ae. But still the line break thing is coming up.

    BTW, I use a GMX free-mail account.

    PS: Have a look on http://www.rt-weinheim.de, where I will sent this topic for a limited time.

    Thanks for helping me, Steffen

  2. steinhaeuser
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    Even sending the emails in different codings via MS Outlook (Win XP SP2) does change the appearance of the Umlaut only, and even the line-breaks are visible as characters.

    Ciao, Steffen

  3. steinhaeuser
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    I had to delete the entry in my blog. However I try to copy'n'paste a part of the miswriting here


    Still two errors still show up:
    1. The email text shows up with new line breaks plus '=3D'
    2. German Umlaut are also substituted by somthing like '=3D4C', which =
    seems to be the alpha-numeric substitute of the letter.

    Ciao, Steffen

  4. steinhaeuser
    Member
    Posted 8 years ago #

    Am I right, that noone is using this feature and thus, help cann' be provided???

  5. mlanger
    Member
    Posted 7 years ago #

    I'm having the line break problem, too. Using Mac Mail message created by FileMaker Pro. Line break and space character being inserted in the middle of a URL, making it unusable. No idea how to fix it.

  6. karipatila
    Member
    Posted 7 years ago #

    I'm having the same problem with both plain text and html-formatted emails. When I run wp-mail.php the report seems just fine, but on the blog the text is far from ok.

  7. karipatila
    Member
    Posted 7 years ago #

    OK... this wasn't that hard to fix, it seems. This worked for me:

    wp-mail.php has a variable called "content", which should be put through the following (or similar) function

    function stringtrim($string){
    $string = htmlentities($string);
    $string = ereg_replace("&Atilde;&curren;","&auml;", $string);
    $string = ereg_replace("‰","&auml;", $string);
    $string = ereg_replace("&Atilde;&para;","&ouml;", $string);
    $string = ereg_replace("ˆ","&ouml;", $string);
    return $string;
    }

    The same goes for the "subject" - variable.

    This is a very rough and quick solution, which could probably be tweaked quite a bit.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic