Ok, let's see if I can remember the steps.
1) Find the page-full-width.php file
2) Duplicate that file by saving it with a different name. ("Save as" something like "homepage-full-width.php" )
3) At the top of the file, where it says: Template Name: Full-Width Page, change that to a different template name, like "Home Page". That way, that new template will show up under 'templates' when you go to wordpress to edit. But before you do that, here's the important part:
4) Find the index.php file
5) Near the top of the file, you should see:
get_template_part( 'slider' ); ?>
Copy that and paste it on to the the homepage template you created. You'll see where it goes... It already has the 'get header' code but not the second line which calls the slider.
6) Save and upload that new homepage template.
7) Go to wordpress and it should be there under templates, just select that.
And that's it.... It worked for me!
Although I am having to change the width of the main area, because it's showing up as 700 for me.... but that's not a big deal, that can be changed in the main css file.
Btw, I'm using Dreamweaver. I'm not sure what you are using, but if you don't have dreamweaver, you can probably still edit those files through the editor in wordpress or with another program.