I have a WordPress site running 3.1.4. It is a test site and can be found at http://220.127.116.11/~powwows/ . I'm also running Buddypress, just installed the latest through the WordPress dashboard today.
I'd like each RSS feed entry to have the following :-
- date/time posted
- a scaled image from the RSS feed itself
- max 3-4 line excerpt from the article (if any) with a link to read more.
- Clicking anywhere on the RSS feed entry should lead to a separate page with an expanded view of the post on the site itself. This page would have user's comments, related posts etc.
I have the following problems:-
(1) Can't get the original formatting of content to be retained on my site. E.g. if one of my feeds is from CNN, the article looks well-formatted with text-wrapping around images, YouTube videos embedded properly. None of that is getting carried over into my site.
(2) It seems like FeedWordPress has two modes for Permalinks.
Mode a- Permalinks point to: "The copy on the original website"
That's not what I want. In this case, clicking on "Comments" also leads you to the original CNN article. This even though I have "Allow comments on syndicated posts" turned on in Syndication -> Posts & Links. I also have "Point to comment feeds from the original website (when provided by the syndicated feed)" set to point to my site.
This is how I have it set up now because I want users to at least be able to read the whole article properly formatted at the source.
Mode b- Permalinks point to: "The local copy on this website"
The title actually leads to a page on my site (which is what I want) but no link to the original site is retained anywhere in the page. This is a problem. I want users to be able to visit the original site.
(3) Images/Videos from the original article are not showing up on my site consistently.
I've used WP-o-matic as well. Same problem. Which leads me to think the problem may be outside FeedWordPress or WP-o-matic. Under "Settings -> Reading", I have "For each article in a feed, show" set to "Full text". Changing that doesn't make a difference either.
They all suggests editing a variety of php files -- single.php, index.php, home.php in the default theme. Mine is the buddypress default theme.
Nothing has worked so far. Some of the entries are from 4 years ago. So I'm positive that a solution has been worked out by now.
Would appreciate it you could point me in the right direction. Thanks.
PS: My site is at http://18.104.22.168/~powwows/