WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

European Character Set Issue (5 posts)

  1. microbe
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    I have a problem with European characters numerous blogs on one of my servers.

    Existing blogs imported incorrectly display European characters. I have tried all the variety of fixes I could find here without success.

    Further, a brand new WordPress 3.1.3 blog installed today for test purposes to try to isolate issues, behaves as follows.

    1) European characters typed into the editor are deleted, no text placed after a deleted character is added.
    2) European characters added using PHPMyAdmin are displayed correctly in blog pages.
    3) European characters load into the editor correctly.
    4) On update, the behaviour in 1) occurs.
    5) It occurs with and without the visual editor enabled.

    I have tried various wp-config settings for character sets and collations, none seem to help.

    So while pre-existing blogs exhibit other problems, the only issue with a newly created blog comes when saving posts. Thoughts, suggestions.

  2. keesiemeijer
    moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Have you tried to comment them out (wp-config.php):

    /** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
    // define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    
    /** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
    // define('DB_COLLATE', '');

    try also:
    - deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem? If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).

    - switching to the default theme to rule out any theme-specific problems?

  3. microbe
    Member
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Thanks for the input.

    As I said - on a new install, no plugins, using Twenty Ten, the result is the same.

    I have made some progress with one of the sites by changing the value for Encoding to ISO-8859-1 in /wp-admin/options-reading.php

    But this didn't work for the clean blog, the editor still truncated or corrupted content when it hit a european character.

    However, used in combination with your suggestion of commenting out the to wp-config lines, it does seem to be working now. Thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried it with a variety of values and with no values without getting the result I needed.

  4. keesiemeijer
    moderator
    Posted 3 years ago #

    Check the encoding of your database with phpmyadmin
    Also, sometimes it is the fault of php files you have edited (with the wrong charset) and re-uploaded.

  5. microbe
    Member
    Posted 2 years ago #

    Still not resolved and yes, the database and tables are utf8.

    Data containing for example: Åâ逥 äëö

    can be retrieved from the database, displays fine, but posts cannot be edited - posts and custom fields are truncated or corrupted on submission.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic