Thanks, Kimberly. I tried the solution you posted, but it failed.
Maybe I am not following the instructions correctly. Here is what I did:
First, I logged into FTP
The next step says to create a folder called .PHP in "the username directory." I don't know what the username directory is, so I had to guess and I think I may have guessed wrong.
I put the .PHP folder in wp-admin/user directory. Then I made another folder under .PHP called 5.3. Inside that folder, I created a text file, called PhPrc, without the txt file extension. I input the commands as in the link you provided.
When that didn't work, I moved the .PHP folder and the contents to the webroot, which didn't work either.
I guess I need to know if there is a problem with anything I did.