I installed wordpress / nextgen gallery / arras theme / wordpress stats.
I receive the message "Error establishing a database connection". This message is intermittent. One second the site works and the next I receive the error message. I can do absolutely nothing and the site will eventually work again but its up time is limited.
1) My database, username, and password was auto created by my host (fatcow). Going into cpanel and going to mysql, my database name & user name match. My password was auto created so I technically don't know if it is correct but I can update that if needed.
2) I searched and found issues with the Database Collate (thing) and decided to add "UTF8" into the empty space in the wp-config file. This actually seemed to get the site instantly up but went down about 20 minutes later. I then logged into phpadmin and went to databases. At the end of the database list that includes terms like: "wp_posts" "wp_terms" it says "latin1_swedish_ci", is this correct? All other fields indicate utf8.
At this point I am going to try to disable the theme and the nextgen plugin gallery as I suspect it has something to do with one or the other. I will also try switching the password of the database, however switching the names seems pointless as they match. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
What's really puzzling is why the system will come back up?
*Should be noted all databases seem to be running correctly from my host.
*This issue started when i tried to install both wordpress and joomla. I installed wordpress fine and had joomla installed to http://www.mysite.com/joomla. That also installed fine. Next morning I went to go mess with everything and awoke to the error. I got so frustrated I had my host format account and just started over. The end result was the same which is why I suspect the theme or gallery to be an issue.
***So I just decided to clear the cache on my netbook and the site came up. At this point I will try to disable the theme and gallery before it goes down again.
1) I disabled both theme and gallery. (Problem still persists.)
2) Generic theme applied. (Problem still persists)
3) Version: 5.0.77 in database.
4) I literally opened about 20 to 30 tabs of my site and some loaded and others showed the error.