Downloading the WordPress CVS with Tortoise
© 2003 Cena Mayo
version: 1 (13 August 2003)
Downloading the CVS version of WordPress is incredibly easy and (depending on your connection speed) can be done in a matter of minutes. Please feel free to email me at cenaATcox-internetDOTcom with suggestions for revisions, corrections, or general feedback. A graphical version will soon be available on my website.
1. Download the latest version of TortoiseCVS for Windows at http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/tortoisecvs/TortoiseCVS-1.4.4.exe
The project page can always be found at http://www.tortoisecvs.org/.
2. Install Tortoise according to instructions.
3. Now comes the fun part. Tortoise is going to create a new directory for the WordPress CVS. I’ll use my own desktop for the purposes of this example. Simply right-click on your desktop, and you should see new options in the menu that pops up. Click on ‘CVS Checkout…’ and we can get started configuring Tortoise.
4. Fill in the configuration screen with the following:
Repository folder: /cvsroot/cafelog
The ‘Protocol’ and ‘User name’ fields can be filled by clicking on the right arrow, and the CVSROOT will be populated automatically.
5. Clicking on ‘OK’ will immediately start the CVS download. (Note: occasionally you will get an error message to the effect that Tortoise was unable to download from the server. This is an error generated by Sourceforge, not Tortoise, so just ignore it and try again later.)
6. The folder containing the WP CVS will be highlighted in green, and WP can be uploaded to your server and installed normally.
7. Future updates to the CVS can be downloaded by simply right-clicking on your WP CVS folder, and choosing the ‘CVS Update’ option from the menu.
8. And that’s it! Enjoy. :)