WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Dealing with TOO MUCH spam in the mod queue? (4 posts)

  1. xematt
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Hi there -- hope someone can help!

    I currently have over 50,000 (!!!) messages in my "Awaiting Moderation" section.

    Obviously, it's impossible to load the page with that many comments. I've been trying to bring the number down by doing search-and-deletes on various spam words, but the truth is, I'll never get it down to a point where the load is reasonable that way.

    The main issue is that though 95% of these messages will be useless spam, the other 5% will be comments going to archived entries. (Any entry of my blog not currently on the blog main page has its comments sent to the "Awaiting Moderation" bin.)

    I really don't want to lose the good comments that are trapped in there. Is there anything anyone can suggest that will let me clean up this mess?

    Oh, and FYI: Sadly, I had to step away from the site for a few weeks, and that's how the spam got out of control. By the time I was back, it was at 15,000 and it's just climbed and climbed ever since.

    Thanks in advance for your help!

  2. JeremyVisser
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    What version of the Akismet plugin do you have? If you have the latest one, you can use the "Recheck Queue for Spam" functionality in the Moderate Comments screen.

    http://akismet.com/download/

    Oh, and by the way, WordPress 2.0.4 is old. I highly recommend you upgrade to either 2.0.11 (which doesn't introduce any new features, only security fixes), or 2.3.1 (the flagship version).

  3. Roy
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Also look here, maybe that'll help. It's about a plugin to remove spam by bulk.

  4. xematt
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    Thank you, everyone. From what I can gather, I think it would be smart for me to upgrade WordPress before trying out one of these solutions. I appreciate your help!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic