WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Participants Database
Conflict with Swedish åäö (4 posts)

  1. Networkoilgas
    Member
    Posted 7 months ago #

    Hi again!

    First of all, thank you Xnau for providing such great forum feedback and so quickly.

    One major issue with the plugin for me, since I am working with a Swedish database, is the constant problem with our special letters å,ä,ö.

    The database doesn't allow entries in database fields with the special letters. One case especially is when I try to add a multiple choice field and specify the choices in the "values" field. When updating the values immedietly turn into interpretations of å, ä, ö such as "å ä ö"

    The letters å, ä, ö are very common in Swedish and so most cells contain them and this has been a big issue when trying to import my csv database and, once i have it, managing it and new entries.

    Is there any way to make the entire plugin capable of handling Swedish?

    I have tried whereever I can to change to UTF-8_swedish_ci. It has solved the problem sometimes but in somecases not.

    Thank you in advance!

    http://wordpress.org/plugins/participants-database/

  2. xnau
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 7 months ago #

    "UTF-8_swedish_ci" (as you may know) is a database collation which is used when strings are compared. You should set your database to that collation, but this does not affect character input or output. I state this so there is some clarity on this complex subject.

    What you need to do is make sure your web pages are using the UTF-8 character set. If not, character input can result in incorrect characters getting saved. One way you can tell if this is not the case is when such characters are saved, they come back (after the record is saved) as strange symbols. It's not the plugin doing this, it's the browser sending incorrectly encoded characters when the form is submitted.

    The database is already set up to use the UTF-8 character encoding (usually shown as "UTF-8 UNICODE") so you shouldn't have to change anything there (other than the collation, which you have changed).

    The issue you are seeing with the setting of the form element options values is that "special" characters are currently getting converted to their HTML entity equivalents. You may find that despite the fact that it looks odd, it will display correctly. I'm working on ways to make this more transparent to the user.

    Nevertheless, this is a tricky area, and if you are seeing specific instances of the plugin not handling these characters correctly, I want to know about it.

  3. Networkoilgas
    Member
    Posted 7 months ago #

    Thank you for this thorough answer!

    My browser is already using UTF-8 though and my problem has been solved.

    It seems like you said that the html entity equivalent is still read out correctly in front-end and also interpretable when I imported my database. So that was not the problem to begin with.

    Strange though that, in "manage database fields", if I type with åäö in the "Help text" column and in the "Values" column, the help text has no problem but the Values column converts to HTML entity equivalent upon saving.

    I tried to find these database entries in myphpadmin and converted them both to UTF8-swedish but it didnt make a difference.

    How important this is you probably know best, but it is confusing for the user i must say. :)

    Keep up giving great feedback!

  4. xnau
    Member
    Plugin Author

    Posted 7 months ago #

    I'm sorry it's confusing. The problem is those fields are used in very different ways, so they are treated differently by the plugin. As I said I'm working on making it more clear for the user.

Reply

You must log in to post.

About this Plugin

About this Topic