WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

Clean up strange characters after installing (5 posts)

  1. jason_boom
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I have used a odd wordpress for years (2.7 or below I believe) and finally updated it.

    I am using heart internet and used their one click install to have a clean start but updated the wp-config.php file to look at my database.

    Everything seemed fine apart from a selection of characters such as ",' and - have been replaced with “, ’ and “

    I have asked for their support but they said it would be much better to ask here.

    Is there a easy way to update this as I have 300+ posts

    Thank you

  2. Tara
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    -Be precise with charset compatibility in wp-config.php and your mySQL dbase. For example, define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8'); is not the same as define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8_unicode_ci');

    - You may also try this plugin and see if this can sort out the issue for you: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/utf-8-database-converter/

  3. jason_boom
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Thank you for this - first I updated the code to say 'DB_CHARSET', 'utf8_unicode_ci'); which sorted out about half the symbols and then I used the following to find and replace the rest:

    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search-and-replace/

  4. Tara
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Glad you got it sorted :)

  5. patty-o
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    So frustrating! I migrated a new site (WordPress 3.5.1) from a smaller server to a business server and tried all of the solutions that I could find, including 2 obsolete plugins and some 'ALTER' table field queries found HERE . What a failure, since it's been 12 years since a SQL course.

    None of the solutions worked. Finally, I created a new page whose text included several apostrophes and double spaces between sentences, and discovered that the weird characters were not generated on a new page. Then, I tried once again to edit a page, exported in the migration, using the 'text' tab (in the WP editor) and it looked fine in editing but still displayed the weird characters in live view.

    Finally, I edited that same pre-migration page using the 'visual' tab in the editor, and voila, it finally cleaned it up. So, if you're fortunate enough to have a smaller site, this may work.

    I'm hoping that someone can come up with a plugin for v. 3.5.1.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic