I'm also having the same problem as Matt and would like to fix it in the correct way, though am willing to try Matt's creative solution if nothing else works.
- My permalinks are set to: /archives/%post_id%
- The post in question is (definitely) in category 6
- I made a template called "category-6.php"
- When I access my post in question via this link:
...I do not get the category template, just the "single" template is used.
- Whatever I change my permalinks to, I still get the same problem.
As for design_dolphin's list of things to check out:
In your development environment try the following:
1. Activate the 'default' theme in your WordPress installation. It should have come with the download of WordPress.
2. Create an empty category.php file with the content "Test plain category"
3. Create an empty a category-3.php file with the content "Test category 3"
4. Then go to the URI for category and category 3, and what are the results?
Since it's a live site I'm dealing with, I can't switch to the default theme. However I can confirm the following:
In addition check the following both offline and online:
Are you doing any URI rewriting in your .htaccess? Or in .htaccess in a folder higher up the directory structure? I noticed you are running the WordPress in a subfolder? Maybe something (in .htaccess) is conflicting?
My .htaccess is modified since I'm also running WP in its own directory. But it's working perfectly in all other respects, and is modified the same way as on other sites I've set up this way (the exact same code in fact). So I don't 'think' it's to do with the .htaccess.
In your theme do you have any code in your functions.php?
I'm using the bare-bones functions file from the Classic template, and only added support for post thumbnails.
You need to find out what URI your category is on, and check your Permalinks with this, to make sure you are going to the correct URI, and you are using the same format in your URI as in your Permalinks.
I've listed this info above, and it seems to jibe.
So... I'm kind of at the end of my rope here - why would the category template be ignored?
Hope someone can help. Thanks!