I think the answer to all these questions will be "yes" to some extent but I was just looking for a little input and maybe some suggestions or nudge in the right direction. I appologize if this gets long-winded.
I've gotten WordPress installed and running with Kubrick, but like most people, I would like to customize it. I would like the basic layout to be close to Mike Davidson's site (http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/). The big issue is that what I want to do is more than just a blog and I would like the ability to add a lot more pages of non-blog content and I'm trying to figure out the navigation and if WordPress can do what I want.
My idea for the way the site would work is this. I would like to have the main/home page be the blog. That shouldn't be a problem. I would also like to have other pages that I think could be handled by the Page function. These other pages though would have potentially many sub/child-pages of content that would not be blog related. I plan on doing some tutorials and reviews and would like each one to have a separate page under a main "Tutorial" or "Review" Page. These would be more hand-made, though I think I can do what I want in the WordPress Page editor (nothing too fancy, mainly just text). So my basic questions are these:
1) I don't really care to have the Meta information on the Nav column. Is there a way to remove this? Is this just something that can be removed in the sidebar file? Or, could I just move this info perhaps to the Footer? This one is not a huge deal.
2) I would like to move the Pages to the horizontal position like mikeindustries.com mentioned above. Is this just done in CSS? I would want it to just be a horizontal bar along the lines of "Blog - Tutorials - Reviews - About".
3) I would like to be able to make child Pages invisible in the navigation. Basically I want only the Parent Pages to show up in the bar under the header. The Parent Page would then just basically be a page of links to the child pages with some other info. Obviously it would get very messy to have all the child pages show up. I didn't see how to do this in the default WP setup.
4) If I get this set up, then I do not see a need for the Category section to show up in the sidebar either. Can this be removed also?
5) Can I change the Archive function to show post titles instead of lumping everything into months? So I would rather it be like a "Recent Posts" type thing with the post title instead of an Archive.
6) Can Links be made relevant to the page you are on? Say if I have a Tutorial Page, can I have a Links Category of "Other Tutorials" that only shows up in that Page instead of all of them visible on all pages?
In playing with this I have figured that if I cannot do what I want with Pages, that each post could be linked to a Category, and the categories can be my "page" titles. This could be a potentially easier way to solve some of these problems, but then the Pages would not be separated from the actual blog which I would much rather do.
Anyways, I would be greatly appreciative of any feedback. I appologize if this is hard to follow. Thanks...