WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] Busted in IE (9 posts)

  1. korngames
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    My company's page is having trouble loading in Internet Explorer. Chrome and Firefox handle it without any issues, as do the browsers on my mobile device. I've only tested it on IE9. I've spent the entire day on it with no avail, so I've decided to ask for assistance. I'm new to this forum, so I don't know all the etiquette for asking for help. I hope I'm posting in the right place.

    Thanks everyone.

    esitenn.com

  2. Andrew
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

    The first step towards browser compatibility is validation. Does your website validate?

  3. korngames
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    No, there are 45 errors. Crazy.

    I didn't make this page, I've just been tasked with the cleanup.

    Looking at the validator, there are a lot of things wrong, but I'm really not sure where to begin to fix them.

    Again, I appreciate the assistance.

  4. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

    The biggest problem -- and which may be causing the IE issues is that you have CSS code above the DOCTYPE. That causes IE major fits. No code should go above the DOCTYPE. So figure out where that code is coming from -- maybe a plug-in? Then see how the site looks. Many of the other errors are not a big problem.

  5. korngames
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I want to thank both of you for your help so far. There was indeed a rogue plugin causing the problem.

    I've got another problem to sort out though, apparently IE (maybe?) compatibility settings are causing the header image to overlay the rest of the site. It doesn't affect all computers, but when it does, it doesn't matter which browser you use to view the site, and if you do happen to click the compatibility button on a computer where it was once working, it refuses to display properly again, even if you disable compatibility. Any ideas? I've included a screenshot of what is happening. You can also break the page yourself by clicking on the compatibility view icon in IE next to the address bar. Again, I truly appreciate the help.

    Screenshot:

    Screenshot

  6. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

    refuses to display properly again, even if you disable compatibility

    Possibly a caching issue. That's still IE (obviously) -- if you care about that, you may need to use conditional CSS for IE -- older versions of IE don't work with some CSS/HTML code.

    http://codex.wordpress.org/Conditional_Comment_CSS

  7. WPyogi
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

    But it looks like you still have many mark-up errors, including the Doctype problem -- so frankly, don't waste your time on other things until you've dealt with those...they may be causing problems.

  8. korngames
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    I added a line that fixed it.

    meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge"

    This fixed the issue, and though we both thought it was a cache issue, it was something totally different. Apparently, there is a feature (if you wanna call it that) in IE that forces compatibility mode for webpages that are detected on the same intranet (subnet) as the computer you are using. You can uncheck the option locally, but that only fixes the individual computer, and doesn't provide a permanent fix. The line of code I used above corrected everything, and forced compatibility to be disabled. That may not be the cleanest fix, but indeed it did take care of the problem. All of the computers that had issues before are no longer seeing them, and compatibility mode is grayed out when trying to view the page in IE.

    The page is rendering properly on all browsers, intranet or not. Thank you again!

  9. korngames
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Resolved.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic