WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] Blank screen after moving site from localhost to GoDaddy server (4 posts)

  1. robgolbeck
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Hi,
    I searched the forums for an answer to this questino, but didn't find anything that addresses my question specifically. So apologies in advance if this has already been answered in the forum :)

    I developed a site for a client on a local WAMP server. Today I transferred all the files and the database over to the client's GoDaddy server. But, now when I go to the url all I get is a blank screen. There's no "error establishing database connection", or any other error message, so it appears to be connecting to the database. I just can't see the site or access the WP login screen.

    I suspect the problem might be that I haven't manually granted all privileges to the user, but there's no "Privileges" tab in phpMyAdmin in the GoDaddy account.... The tab is there in phpMyAdmin on my WAMP server, however. This is just a guess though, so I have no idea if that's what the problem is.

    I don't have much experience working with MySQL, and this is the first time I've attempted to move an existing database from one server to another like this (normally I rebuild the database from scratch on the server. But in this case there's a lot of content so I'd like to avoid that).

    Can anyone help?

    Thanks!

  2. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Have you reviewed Moving_WordPress?

  3. robgolbeck
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Yes, that was the first thing I read before starting the move. I also got some additional info from this blog post (which speaks directly to the GoDaddy process).

    I'll review Moving_WordPress again though and report back. Maybe I missed a step or misunderstood something.

  4. robgolbeck
    Member
    Posted 1 year ago #

    Ok, so it appears the problem is with my theme, not the database.

    After much digging last night and this morning I finally decided to just do a fresh install with a new database and re-populate the site manually. Fairly big job, but for all the time it was taking already I was prepared to do it.

    Anyway, the WP install and new database connection went fine. But when I uploaded and activated my theme I got the same blank page as before. I set wp_debug to 'true' in my config file (which in retrospect I probably should have done in the first place!) and it listed a bunch of errors.

    So I deleted the theme, activated the 2011 theme, and imported my original database again through phpMyAdmin. Now all my original content is showing up.

    Still not entirely sure what the problem is with the theme (it works fine on my dev server), but at least there aren't any database problems.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic