WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

qTranslate
Autoupdate to WP 3.8.3 has disabled qTranslate plugin (17 posts)

  1. Tracey
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    With the new auto-update functionality in WordPress, my site automatically updated to WP 3.8.3 this morning, at which point the qTranslate plugin stopped working. The front of the site still shows the correct languages, but the page/post editor only works in English i.e. as it was before using the plugin.

    There is a warning:
    "The qTranslate Editor has disabled itself because it hasn't been tested with your WordPress version yet. This is done to prevent WordPress from malfunctioning. You can reenable it by clicking here (may cause data loss! Use at own risk!). To remove this message permanently, please update qTranslate to the corresponding version."

    but clicking to re-enable the plugin does not work! I have had to revert to an older version of WP manually (3.8.1 as this plugin is not compatible with 3.8.2 either) and stop auto updates too by changing the wp-config file.

    This is a HORRIBLE default action to be taken by this plugin!!

    https://wordpress.org/plugins/qtranslate/

  2. Tracey
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    PS here's the official download page where it states the incompatibility:
    http://www.qianqin.de/qtranslate/download/

    Sadly the WP official repository isn't correct as it states this plugin is compatible to 3.8.3: see screenshot http://screencast.com/t/isqZPI0Q

  3. iggyvolz
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    That's a bug in the qtranslate system, it should only compare the minor version (it's compatible with 3.8.x) instead of the patch version (which is distributed with no notice whatsoever and should't break compatibility).

    This happens every time a new release is out. Because this is just a patch version, you can safely trick qtranslate into thinking that it is configured to run with 3.8.3. Change qtranslate.php line 90 from:
    define('QT_SUPPORTED_WP_VERSION', '3.8.2'); to define('QT_SUPPORTED_WP_VERSION', '3.8.3');

  4. Tracey
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    Brilliant, I'll do that & let you know how it goes - many thanks!

  5. Tracey
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    bliss, it worked - that's a heck of a lot easier than the manual restore route I went - thanks again :)

  6. infowebits.cz
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    Thank you for this info too :)

  7. whaus
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    please note, re-enabling qtranslate might be a bit trickier with the upcoming WP 3.9 release:
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/qtranslate-and-wordpress-39

  8. Tracey
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    Thanks very much for the heads-up, whaus - I've got auto-updates switched off, and I'll follow this & the other thread you've linked to, until I know a "proper" version of qtranslate is running for 3.9.x ...
    much appreciated.

  9. boerea
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    Thanks for bringing up the issue here, tracey, and your brilliant solution, iggyvoltz!!

  10. Tracey
    Member
    Posted 3 months ago #

    You're most welcome boerea!

    In the thread that @whaus links to I also posted the solution that worked for me, as I had auto-updates on that kept messing me around.

    Link : http://wordpress.org/support/topic/qtranslate-and-wordpress-39?replies=47
    ... in case anyone else has the same problem with auto-updates...

  11. killbrum
    Member
    Posted 2 months ago #

    Hello. I made changes in my qtranslate.php but nothing happen, I always receive this message:

    The qTranslate Editor has disabled itself because it hasn't been tested with your WordPress version yet. This is done to prevent WordPress from malfunctioning. You can reenable it by clicking here (may cause data loss! Use at own risk!). To remove this message permanently, please update qTranslate to the corresponding version.

    what i do wrong? can anyone help me?

  12. Tracey
    Member
    Posted 2 months ago #

    @killbrum - depending on your version of WordPress, you may need to revert to an older version as I describe in the post I linked to above
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/qtranslate-and-wordpress-39?replies=47

    that's the only way I could solve it for myself.

  13. badi3
    Member
    Posted 2 months ago #

    Hi Tracy, you made my day! after allready putting back 3 older WP versions with no result of having a workable solution I was lucky to find you input! work like a charm. Came back from 3.9 to 3.8.3

  14. Tracey
    Member
    Posted 2 months ago #

    @badi3 - glad to have helped - it was definitely a joint effort :)

  15. ma_wordpressorg
    Member
    Posted 2 months ago #

    Thank you! Helped me. And it also brought to my attention, I have an autoupdate feature in WordPress now. Hm... Definately will check this out further today.

  16. edumusa
    Member
    Posted 1 month ago #

    Solution from iggyvolz worked for me as well, my version had the 3.8.1 line.
    I noticed sometimes the plugin starts working fine, but after some activation or deactivation of other plugins breaks it.
    And ma_wordpressorg, i have set an auto_update line to false in the wp-config file from all websites i make.

  17. Urmas
    Member
    Posted 1 month ago #

    Hi! Iggyvolz's trick helped me as well. As for you, edumusa, I'd recommend a plugin that disables WordPress core updates. But be sure to check them manually to ensure the security of your WP site.

Reply

You must log in to post.

About this Plugin

About this Topic