Ok guys, I got it sorted! Heres how I did it:
I do belive this was an issue with cutting and pasting from MSWord or something because I often do that very thing. I can tell the posts I made via the browser and they look alright but about half of them had problems.
MAKE A BACKUP JUST IN CASE
If you have phpmyadmin click on the wp_posts table and then click on the export tab, check Add Drop Table, check Save As File, then hit go. It will ask you to download the entire post archive in sql format. Open it in editplus (my favorite!) or something similar that can save in different char formats. Save as UTF-8 just like it says in the wordpress recommended options.
MAKE ANOTHER BACKUP JUST IN CASE
Click on the sql tab at the top and click the browse button, browse to wherever you saved the utf-8 encoded sql file and hit go.
this should delete your old wp_posts table and import all the posts back in just as they were before, cept not screwed up.
I had to remove the top comments from the exported SQL file because of some weird reason and you may or may not have to.
SOoooo, I hope this helps whoever comes across the same problem that I did. Thanks for all the excellent suggestions and tips everyone. Happy posting.