WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] after update to 2.2.2 permalinks don't work anymore (5 posts)

  1. fht
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    I upgraded from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 with a working blog and working permalink-settings (/%postname%/). The Blog is running since around 2005, permalinks changed somewhen 2006.

    But now I found out that permalinks aren't working anymore.

    Permissions and content of the .htaccess-file are the same as in the old installation.

    Any idea what could cause this?

  2. fht
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    When I put index.php/ into the URI then it works. But I don't know how to change the .htaccess-file to reflect this, I am currently playing around with that.

  3. wakeup
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    I have the same problem, did you solve the problem?

    thanks

  4. Chris_K
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    (I think I've typed this 4 times so far today, is search broke again?)

    Visit Options -> Permalinks and re-save your current settings. Check the bottom of the page, is there a message there with instructions? If not, then WP should be automatically updating your .htaccess.

    More troubleshooting info can be found at the Permalinks page.

  5. fht
    Member
    Posted 6 years ago #

    @HandySolo: Thank you for this solution and the link but I tried that _before_ putting this question here.

    @wakeup: thanks for contacting me via my website; didn't know there was no way to contact me directly within here.

    MY solution had nothing to do with WordPress at all. I just had a broken httpd.conf: the line AddModule mod_rewrite.c was missing.

    So, now you might ask: How could this happen?
    I was using a so called "server management tool" when setting up the server nearly 3yrs ago. After an update about a year ago it stopped working - but as I didn't use the SMT anymore I didn't really care about that because all websites were up and running - so completely forgot.

    But the other day I needed to change a users PHP-flags, remembered the SM-tool and got it to run again... too bad it overwrote my hand-edited httpd.conf-file every two minutes after that with the stuff in the database.

    As it didn't affect the other websites on the server I didn't even notice, nor think to look in there! (MY FAULT, I know) So I found out by mere chance when looking for something completely different.

    So please double-check your httpd.conf twice for the entry

    AddModule mod_rewrite.c

    if using ANY script that might be accessing/modifying files in /etc/apache

    HTH and yes, that was a perfect pebkac-error :)

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic