My problem isn't with getting images on my site. It's with getting my site to display the images. I've tried two approaches: (1) using the upload utility and (b) uploading via FTP and linking--both automatically and manually. In every case the uploading went flawlessly. But in no case were my images displayed. Not sure whether it's a WordPress problem or a server problem.
[Note: This wasn't a problem until I updated from 2.5 to 2.5.1. But it's probably relevant that, with 2.5, one day I could use Ecto or MacJournal as a front-end...and next day I couldn't. That quick. However, I could still write in WP itself, and I could upload images via FTP, link them, and have them display. Once I updated to 2.5.1, however, I was SOL. Not only was I unable to display new images, but the previously displayed images disappeared. Nice problem for inquisitive problem-solvers, I'm sure; but ultra-frustrating for a guy who just wants to say "Hello, World!" Yeah. In times past, I did learn several computer languages. Programmers will recognize the allusion.]
I'll share this both with the WP community and with my ISP. I want to stay with both, and I recognize there's a good chance that either I've screwed the pooch or my database has been corrupted. This is not about who's at fault, though, but about getting back in operation. Consequently, I'll hope for the best but in the meantime be looking for a "bail out and start over" alternative.