WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

A suggestion for easier drag and drop on the widget page. (9 posts)

  1. joymanur
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    This is just a suggestion for easier workflow.

    http://s18.postimg.org/7iwc871g9/Untitled.jpg

    As you can see, dragging and dropping will be much easier this way. I added two css styles for this to happen. Just a suggestion.

  2. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Have you ensure that your suggested UI is also accessible to users of assistive technology - eg: screen readers, voice recognition software etc?

  3. joymanur
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Esmi, i find your question very funny. Because working with current UI can be very frustrating when you have lots of available widgets and sidebars. So why bother with screen readers when it's not even working perfectly for normal users.

    I usually use developer toolbar to add 2 css styles to make this happen.

    I never use screen readers or voice recognition software before so i don't know how to ensure this UI. But i do believe it will work because all it needs is 2 css styles.

  4. Andrew
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 9 months ago #

    If you're posting to resolve an issue then resolve it for everybody.

  5. joymanur
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    I find this really hard to believe, even funny. Most blind people use screen reader to read the web with their ears. I never heard blind people arranging widgets on admin panel to make websites look the way they want.

    I already told you that i never used screen readers or voice recognition before, i'm not an expert. I was just giving a suggestion and i do believe that the wordpress team have an expert to test this. In case where they don't, then this is not the first issue to solve.

  6. Andrew
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 9 months ago #

    You don't know how insulting and patronising you've been.

  7. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 9 months ago #

    I find this really hard to believe, even funny.

    I can assure you that this is something that happens every day. And it's not the slightest bit funny.

    I never heard blind people arranging widgets on admin panel to make websites look the way they want.

    Were you aware that only about 5% of registered blind people have no sight at all? The other 95% have some sight. And blind site owners would like to continue to be able to add widgets to their sites - whether they see their resulting site or hear it rendered via a screen reader.

    i do believe that the wordpress team have an expert to test this

    Yes. You're talking to one of them. See http://make.wordpress.org/accessibility/

  8. joymanur
    Member
    Posted 9 months ago #

    That is very informative. THank you.

  9. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 9 months ago #

    Please understand that no one is dismissing your suggestion out of hand. But it is essential that WordPress takes into account all of its very different users when designing UI screens. The secondary scrollbar on your screenshot creates a question as to how accessible this would be for users of various kinds of assistive technology.

    That said, there are plan to make the WP Admin area far more easy to theme/skin in the future. Perhaps this is something you could roll into a possible admin theme later on? In the meantime, have you had a look at http://wordpress.org/plugins/mp6/

Reply

You must log in to post.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.