• Resolved reniet

(@reniet)

I’m having serious problems with my website. Every 1 or 2 days 99% of my website dies completely, EXCEPT for my index page (home page). As soon as I click on any link to any of my other pages/sections (i.e. Photos, Audio, About, etc) I get a ‘404’ error page. I was told by my hosting company that there was a problem with the ‘permalinks’ (Settings > Permalinks). That I needed to reset them. To go to that section and just press “Save Changes” again (even if no changes were made) and that would take care of the problem. I did and that took care of the problem….. temporarily. But then the day after of two days after I have the same problem. I have to log on to my W.P. account and reset the permalinks AGAIN. For the last weeks I’ve had to do this at least 5 times. So any given moment someone will visit my site and go “oh, this is all dead”. Not very cool 🙁

Is it my WP account, my hosting company? Help please!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Weird.

I would try this:

1) Change your password and make sure there nobody else with access to the site
    2) Make you root .htaccess file unwritable (chmod to 444)

Thread Starter reniet

(@reniet)

Thank you! I’ll try that and reply back in a few days. THANKS!

Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

-Try resetting your custom permalinks back to the default setting and renaming your WordPress .htaccess file. If that works, then try reading Using_Permalinks before setting a custom permalink structure again.

Thread Starter reniet

(@reniet)

Problem solved. Dreamhost detected the problem and sent me an e-mail notifying me they had disabled the…….. something I did not understand.
    Also recommended I looked for any weird files on my website that I had not uploaded. I found 2 and when I tried to copy them to my desktop as a test, the antivirus went bananas, so I deleted them and also changed all the passwords.

Thank you guys for the tips 🙂

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘99% of website dies every other day – permalinks’ is closed to new replies.