WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

9 new designs for WordPress (27 posts)

1. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

Hi, This free week Id been learning CSS. I have ported to wordpress original Blog:CMS designs.
    Ill publish them soon but first, Please, test it. Thnx...
    Please, visit http://eriosoft.com/wordpress
    to see it in action
    Original design made by Radek HULAN (c) 2004
    http://hulan.info/blog/
    Converted to WordPress by Riosoft
    http://eriosoft.com/portal/

2. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

Well those are certainly some nice looking :) styles. Why not register here ? Welcome to WordPress.

3. carthik
    Posted 9 years ago #

They look good! Thanks.

4. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

Nice port! In fact, I like your port better than my original style for BLOG:CMS :)
    Radek HULAN
    -=BLOG:CMS Developer=-
    http://blogcms.com

5. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

Do all these designs fit the default index.php or does it need to be edited at all?

6. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 9 years ago #

Default index.php No need to be edited nothing... I have tested it with Opera 7.5, Firefox 0.9 and Internet Explorer 6. But not in Linux or Mac...
    I dont know where to put my files to be downloable. Alex King Site for example?
    Thnx Radek. You know I love(use) Bloc:CMS too.
    Ill register today here, sorry. :-)

7. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

Now a lot of those designs use float right ?

8. riosoft
    Posted 9 years ago #

Yeah.... float right. I have preserved float (original designs).

9. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

So you are using float without editing the index. Thank you. We get the picture.

10. stevem
    Posted 9 years ago #

Beautiful designs! Thank you very much

11. hanni
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 9 years ago #

Stevem: Look more closely!

12. riosoft
    Posted 9 years ago #

Root, I know default index.php its not a jewel and it need to be revised but many WP users hate change original files. I suppose your a skilled person in wordpress community. Remember Still Im a newbie. So please (you and testers) if you can advice me about these designs Ill apreciate it.
    Note: Sorry for my english... Its hard to me express what I want to say in english (At leats I understand written english).
    :-)

13. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

Well they are your designs. And you are offering them to the WP community many of whom may know very little about CSS. I know you say they are for testing but you need to assume responsibilty for the quality of your own work.
    As these designs fit the default index the Alex King site would be the ideal place for them.

14. carthik
    Posted 9 years ago #

Root, let us not discourage someone who spent a lot of time doing something for the greater common good :)
    Thanks riosoft, and as for issues with the design (not that I see any too drastic - but I am not an expert), I am sure that you will get to know as and when people start using the designs.
    You can contact alexking and ask him to host these styles too.

15. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

Yes I agree. The WP community will really benefit from another load of style sheets with borked layouts. Why not?. Lets have more.

16. wairoanz
    Posted 9 years ago #

Root, do you have any tips for Riosoft to help unbork the design templates? As you mentioned on your site, many/most of the designs on Alex's site eventually cause headaches (I went down that route too), so it would be nice to have a few more tempates/interfaces/styles that offer a smoother path for WordPress users. Perhaps, with a little help from you, Riosoft's designs can receive the UnBorked by Root quality seal of approval. :)

17. zadu
    Posted 9 years ago #

Hey Riosoft, thanks for putting these up. I see a problem though, the menu slides down below the bottom of the content div in the following styles: bluedot, chocolate, czchia, france, simpleton, techno. Browser is Firefox on Winxp.
    @Root: is this what you meant? If not, care to elaborate? What you said above kind of confuses me.

18. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

zadu. You are right on the money and thank you. It is worse than that. With a short post the menu is going to slide over the footer I would think. My views have been aired extensively on my blog. The stylists can only style with the hooks that are available. Otherwise they need to edit the index. If they go too far with the available tools this is the result. Thank you sincerely for your timely observation.

19. wairoanz
    Posted 9 years ago #

Root, maybe it's time to announce a "Gemini" styling competition? A bunch of cool styles for your Gemini and Trident interfaces would be the bees knees.

20. riosoft
    Posted 9 years ago #

Hi everyone. I have been monitoring this thread last hours... and I think there is no good atmosphere. I dont know where is the war neither who are the enemies(are there?). I simply have ported existing Blog:CMS designs to WordPress because it look like me interesting for the community. Its an oportunity to me to thnx WordPress.
    When I ask for testers is because Im taking cautions not publishing a problematic design. :-)
    I dont understand Dave Sheas own blog comment, sorry Root.
    Hi Zadu. Im using Firefox 0.92, Opera 7.5 and Internet Explorer and I have no that problem... Can anyone corroborate it... :-)
    Neither this problem: "With a short post the menu is going to slide over the footer I would think" Root.
    A few Original designs (lightly modified by Radek last days) are here:
    http://demo.blogcms.com
    Compare, please...
    Regards
    ;-)

21. carthik
    Posted 9 years ago #

riosoft,
    a little bit of context is due here. Root is an excellent CSS designer. He thinks (and to a large extent he's right) that the default index.php and the styles that are created for the index.php are broken, and do not behave properly under all circumstances. A visit to his blog will explain these issues in greater detail.
    You have done the right thing by posting these new styles to the forums, and sharing them thus. Till a new index.php comes out, if at all, the default index.php is going to be shipped with wordpress, and for that index.php your stylesheets do the best job they can. If there are problems, it is not due to your inefficiency as much as they are due to the way index.php is.
    Once again, thank you for your inputs, and I am sure that the issues with the default index.php will be sorted out in due time, since WP has remained friendly to it's user, and will remain so.

22. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

Well there is nothing to stop any designer offering style sheets which fit Gemini or are based on the Gemini layout. I have said before I would be delighted. One or two people have either started or are working on things. I do not think a competition is an appropriate vehicle. Who are we to judge designers work. ? Galleries possibly. And I am in favour of distributed hosting. I have been drawing up a road map but it is potentially an announcement of some significance and I would like the details to be right before it is published. Tx for your support.

23. riosoft
    Posted 9 years ago #

No problem 2fargon. Thnx again. Now Im testing Gemini interface (great site Root) and kubrick template.
    cu

24. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

If anyone is interested in the technical background to this discussion then these guys at Positioniseverything
    have a very comprehensive explanation and it is well worth reading if you are implementing float positioning schemes. In the WP default the rap closes before the footer. Hence if you are converting to float you need to edit the index file.
    Doing one without the other is Laurel and no Hardy. Some browsers mishandle the issue and disguise it. But it will always show up somewhere. HTH.

25. riosoft
    Posted 9 years ago #

Of course, Root... Thnx

26. Root
    Posted 9 years ago #

Just to clarify - I do not think index.php is broken. It is fine. However when we change the style sheet it is easy to break it . I do not want to be pedantic but it is important to distinguish between those two. Whether it could or *should* be made more useable (ie easy to edit) is another matter.

27. riosoft
    Posted 9 years ago #

Wow! Root see last 2 post date-time.... ;-)

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.