• Hi
    i have spent alllllll day, 6 to 7 hours trying to figure out how to either remove and replace or reword Blogroll in the theme
    http://test.qualitywordpress.com/?preview_theme=wine

“blogroll” or ‘blogroll’ or blogroll
    is in NONE of the php that is accessible via wordpress
    and i spent hours on the back end searching for BLOGROLL in php and other files.

pleeeeeeeeeease help
    tia

edit:
    what have i done…
    i have rename and deleted the original category blogroll.
    NOTHING is linked to it..
    there is no right sidebar at all
    (even thought i swear i see it called in view source)
    nothing in the back end for right sidebar..
    regular sidebar shows nothing but the left.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • are you sure its not coming from a theme widget?

You can hide the blogroll or you can rename it to something you can use by using the admin panel.

To hide it, go to your admin panel–>Links–>Edit, you will see all the links with “Blogroll” listed in the category column.

For every one you want to remove, put a check in the name box. Click on Bulk actions and click on remove, then hit the apply button. They should all be gone.

After you have done that, if you want use the same type of function but would like to have it with a different name, do this.

Go to your admin panel–>Links–>Add New and then just fill in the blanks for the new items you want showing.
    Click on “Add New Category”, put in the name you want and click “Add”
    Also, be sure to click on the “Target = blank” button so it opens in a new window when someone clicks it.
    Then click on the “Add Link” button and you are done.

Good luck,
    Fred

Thread Starter flatsilver

(@flatsilver)

yeah, i have NO widgets going at all.
    I tried the deleting and the renaming..
    no go.
    its somewhere, i still cant find it.
    ive never dug so hard!

I have the same issue. I’ve done all necessary steps to change it just won’t change. Is there an error and is there a workaround?
    http://www.SaddleUpAndRide.org

(@flatsilver)

i wish, no one seems to know

Moderator Samuel Wood (Otto)

(@otto42)

WordPress.org Admin

Links->Link Categories. Select the Blogroll category. Change the name of it via the Quick Edit.

(@flatsilver)

thats not an option with our themes.
    theres no quick fix, its in the code somewhere,
    i swear i have dug through every single page LOOKING for the word
    BLOGROLL and its no where to be found, but yet its showing up.
    i mean i spend an ENTIRE day, looking…page by page. “clean wine”

The word “Blogroll” will generally not be in your theme files anywhere.
    Instead there will be a php function used to list the default link category as you have named it from within wordpress. This is so that if you change the name of the link category later, as suggested above, the name on your file will change without you doing anything.

In most themes, this is in the sidebar.php file. Open that, and look for something like <?php wp_list_bookmarks(); ?>. It looks like that will be inside a div with the class “sidebar sidebarright”, just below an unordered list with a php call in it to list some categories (<?php list_cats(); ?> … perhaps?). Sometimes theme developers hard code the title in just above that, and hopefully you would be able to figure that out by looking at it.

Before doing anything to the files on your site, make sure you are actually looking at theme files. They will NOT be the .php files in the root of your wordpress installation. They are in whatever_you_named_your_wordpress/wp-content/themes/whatever_you_named_your_theme. You can edit them through the theme editor (under appearance) provided you are an administrator and have made the files writeable on your server.

Also, in a preview of the theme, it is unlikely that all data is updated fully with the data from your site. I’m not positive about that but would suggest activating the theme first to see what updates with your site data.

And I would suggest a very thorough three or so readings of the themes area of the codex to make sure you grasp the theme concepts. This is a good start Stepping into template tags

Good luck

theres no quick fix, its in the code somewhere,
    i swear i have dug through every single page LOOKING for the word
    BLOGROLL and its no where to be found, but yet its showing up.
    i mean i spend an ENTIRE day, looking…page by page. “clean wine”

@flatsilver

If you are still using the wine theme, is it possible that the right sidebar is being called from the footer, (which has about 23 feet of base 64 encoding in it). I didn’t even bother to go any further once I saw that crap. I suspect it is that obfuscation that may be making the editing of the default right sidebar more difficult than usual. But maybe not. Just a thought.

Moderator Samuel Wood (Otto)

(@otto42)

WordPress.org Admin

Well, without an actual copy of the theme that we can look at, nobody can give you the answer you’re looking for.

Where can one download this theme?

The answer I gave is correct for any sanely written theme.

Try these links… Helped me immensely while trying to rid my site of the Blogroll on the right sidebar..

http://chaos-laboratory.com/2008/05/26/dissection-of-a-hacked-wordpress-theme-how-the-hacked-themes-inject-links-and-how-to-detect-them/

http://www.tareeinternet.com/forum/knowledgebase/274-decoding-eval-gzinflate-base64_decode.html

If the eval — doesn’t work, look at the source of the page that it creates then plug that info into the decoder..

Good luck…

Markeingsence: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Widget not working on my theme.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘6.5 hours on removing / changing Blogroll (swear i have read everything)’ is closed to new replies.