WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

DMSGuestbook
[resolved] 60 000 spam entries and no possibility to delete them (8 posts)

1. staud
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi,

I need your help.
    I've WordPress 3.5 and DMS Guestbook 1.17.2.
    I didn't check my site for some weeks and noticed today that there are over 60 000 spam entries in the guestbook.
    The most urgent problem: I wanted to delete them in the "entries" menu in the WP backend, but it doesn't list a single entry. Just the heading "Entries" and after that: nothing. I'm sure that some timg ago the entry moderation worked. Manually deleting entries in the PhpMyAdmin Menu works, but this can hardly be the solution. What could be wrong with the moderation menu in WP?

The second thing: If that problem hopefully can be solved, how can I prevent spam in the future? I checked the antispam image method, but that doesn't work. The antispam image shows but even if you type the letters correctly in the field it always says that the could was wrong. What can be the problem?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/dmsguestbook/

Thank you very much in advance!!

2. webvitaly
    Posted 1 year ago #

Try Anti-spam plugin. It blocks spam automatically and without captcha.

It is very easy to use: just install and it works silently for admin and for users.

3. DanielSchurter
    Plugin Author

Posted 1 year ago #

Hi staud

DMSGuestbook has two build in antispam method and a connection to reCaptcha. Check the "DMSGuestbook -> Guestbook settings -> Captcha / Akismet" tab on your wordpress admin area for more information.

On "DMSGuestbook -> Spam" there is a link to delete all spam entries by clicking on it. Ok, I didn't test it with 60k entries :-)

Greetings,
    Dani

4. staud
    Posted 1 year ago #

Thanks everybody. I'll give Anti-spam plugin a try in the future.
    Do you have any suggestions why the Entries moderation section in the WP backend is empty?
    PS @ DanielSchurter: There's also nothing listed under "Spam".

5. DanielSchurter
    Plugin Author

Posted 1 year ago #

Do you have any suggestions why the Entries moderation section in the WP backend is empty?

Is there any guestbook activated on "DMSGuestbook -> Basic -> To assign guestbook(s):"?
    (At least one rows must be selected by a language)

Dani

6. staud
    Posted 1 year ago #

Yes. It's activated on the Guestbook page of my blog. The guestbook is showing properly on the blog and entering entries works, too. It's just the entries section of the backend that seems to be broken.

7. DanielSchurter
    Plugin Author

Posted 1 year ago #

It seem to be a problem to display 60k entries and I suggest you to delete it with phpmyadmin.

If you give me access to your db I will remove all spam entries for you. Send me the credentials to DMSGuestbook ( at ) DanielSchurter { dot } Net

Dani

8. staud
    Posted 1 year ago #

Thank you very much for your kind offer!
    I deleted the 60k spam entries by myself. I'm glad that it didn't take more than half an hour. Most of the entries had the same fake email adress, so I could delete many entries together.
    After half of the delete work (30k entries left) I checked whether the entries section in the WP backend was back. It wasn't. But at the end, when I was done, it reappeared - great.
    I hope that with the mathematic anti-spam measure and the anti spam plugin webvitaly suggested I won't encounter any more spam in the future.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic