WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

500 Server Error - Readers don't have permission (4 posts)

1. andilit
    Posted 5 years ago #

About two weeks ago, readers started to report that they weren't getting my posts in their Google reader feed. It seems other feeds work, but not Google. In this time, I noticed a marked down-turn in my stats, and since I post daily, it's easier to track that kind of information.

Then, this week readers started emailing me, off WordPress, saying that they were getting a page that said something like this, ""You do not have permission to view this page", plus a notice that an internal 500 server error has been encountered" when they tried to access my blog.

About this same time, we installed collapsible archives on my blog, and while they work, I wonder if there isn't a connection. Although we have tried deactivating the plug in and saw no change.

My brother is my webmaster and holds my WordPress files on his server, but he's busy right now and can't really help me out. But perhaps if you guys can guide me, I can guide him.

Any suggestions on what we should do?

2. stvwlf
    Posted 5 years ago #

500 errors generally relate to an invalid line in the .htaccess file in the WP installation folder - start by looking there

3. andilit
    Posted 5 years ago #

So we removed the htaccess file, and it hasn't fixed the problem. (Thanks for the tip though.) Any other ideas?

4. stvwlf
    Posted 5 years ago #

You can't just remove the htaccess file - that is what makes permalinks work.

Go to Admin / Settings / permalinks
    reset your permalinks to the default settings. save.

then set them back to the way you want them. save.

That forces WP to rewrite the htaccess file

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic