WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

WP-Members
[resolved] 500 server error (4 posts)

1. Tradedog
    Posted 6 months ago #

Hi All

I am getting the following message when I try to go to my member login page.

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@golftipfinder.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
    Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

My host (Small Orange) say "I believe the best bet would be to contact the developer of the plugin with the issue you are facing, as this is likely an issue with the code, they will be able to pinpoint what causes this and perhaps provide technical feedback for us to investigate."

I have not touched the code, any ideas?

http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-members/

2. liton1980
    Posted 6 months ago #

If you want to access your website and can't do this, you can delete this plugin manually by logging to your server file manager or using FTP. I think if you do this, you can access your website until plugin developer can help you.

3. Chad Butler
    Plugin Author

Posted 6 months ago #

500 errors are pretty difficult to track down, unless they are persistent. Because this happened on your login page does not mean that WP-Members caused the error, and I would find it unlikely that was the issue.

I looked at your site golftipfinder.com and it looks like things are functioning. You don't really have enough information to know what the problem was.

A 500 error is basically the server's way of telling you, "Something went wrong but I don't have any other information." So that could be anything that is occurring at that page - could be WordPress, your theme, or any of the several plugins you've got.

There is no need to delete the plugin manually as this issue would not prevent you from logging into via wp-login.php (which I was able to access).

All of that is a long way of saying that with the error message you have all you know is that the server hung up on something. You don't know what it is unless you are able to gain more information through testing elements of your configuration or viewing some log files.

4. Tradedog
    Posted 6 months ago #

Thanks for your replies.

I eventually managed to solve the problem. I found out that when I went to a particular menu item (about golf solutions) which links to a page and then subsequently went to Login the problem occurred. If I went straight to Login after closing and reopening the site it worked perfectly.

I checked the url of the page and it was defined as a category. I edited the url to make it a page and problem solved.

No idea why or how, but its working.

You must log in to post.

About this Plugin

About this Topic