WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

AskApache Password Protect
500 Server Error (3 posts)

1. Ian McLeish
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi, I would really like to be able to use this plugin. I already have my wp-admin folder password protected by .htaccess, but this plugin seems to offer a whole lot more.

This is my third attempt today, every time it seems to break my site. The last attempt I commented out the details in the htaccess file in wp-admin, as i suspected that was causing the "too may redirects" error I was seeing. No luck.

I'm not sure I am setting it up correctly- I can't select the radio options for BASIC or DIGEST, and I cannot choose between the three options of (is that) Hashing the password- the MD5, SHA1 and other options.
    It says my server won't allow Digest, if that is important here.

At the bottom in red it advises me that I need to activate the wp-admin or wp-login (I THINK) option to allow me to save the password. If I activate it, site is broken, but it won't let me pick a password if it is not activated!?!.

Additionally it complains that htpasswd3a (or whatever it is called) could not be created, which it was able to do during the install prechecks. I have deleted that file and tried again, without luck, also tried to make an empty one without luck. Tried to change to storage location to home/user/.htpasswds/.htpasswd3a without luck also.
    /user has 711 attributes
    /user/public_html is 755
    /user/.htpasswds is 750

the fake blank file I made was 644.

If anyone has a suggestion, I would love to hear it,
    Many thanks,

Ian

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/askapache-password-protect/

2. askapache
    Plugin Contributor

Posted 1 year ago #

Good description and question, here's what I'd suggest.

1 Remove all askapache lines and/or .htaccess/.htpasswd files it created. Remove all the askapache plugin dirs and files in wp-content/plugins/

2 Make sure your site has a php error log setup and verify doing an error_log('test'); writes to it.

3 Install the newest version but don't activate.

4 Edit the plugin .php file and set the define for the debug.

5 Clear browser cache. Restart browser.

6 Activate plugin (newest version).

7 Run diagnostics and paste output (obfuscate) or send it to me.. Include the error log lines.

Unfortunately, it's probably either a writable/ownership issue, or a non-standard server software.

The next version will allow you to just output the htaccess code and let you paste it in manually,a lot of servers can't use php to read/write those files .

3. askapache
    Plugin Contributor

Posted 1 year ago #

There is also a SID in the plugin named rewrite loop to prevent redirect loops.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic

Tags