• I had a few plugins that needed to be updated, so I selected “Update Automatically” on 2 of them. On the second one (Backup WordPress), when it updated and then attempted to reactivate the plugin, it went to a 500 Internal Server Error and now I can’t log into the site at all.

Live site appears to be fine (workingmomcoupons.com), it just seems to be the login that is broken.

I went in through FTP and removed the plugin completely, but still have the issue.

I contacted iPage (who hosts my domain) and this is “beyond their scope of support”, and they suggest that I contact WordPress. Easier said than done, since WordPress doesn’t really have a “Contact Us” type deal…

…Can anyone offer a suggestion on how I might fix this? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • I can see the login screen and main site.

Using an FTP tool or your host provided file manager, rename the offending plugin folder to old-plugin and try to login. Always review plugin compatibility with your version of WP, your existing plugins, and your theme before using.

Thread Starter workingmom

(@workingmom)

Elan – Yes, the main site is fine, as I mentioned above. It’s the admin login that is broken.

SwansonPhotos – I actually deleted the plugin completely. However, I imagine there is a component of the plugin that is located in another directory and I don’t know what/where. You’d think if I deleted the offending plugin folder that the problem would be resolved, but no.

Thanks for the thoughts…

Thread Starter workingmom

(@workingmom)

You mentioned compatibility… I’ve actually used this plugin for some time with no issues. I was performing a standard “automatic update”.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error on Login’ is closed to new replies.