• Resolved jamminjames

(@jamminjames)

I’m getting a “500 Internal Server Error” on ALL PAGES in the site whenever the plugin is active, and an event is listed. I have to either remove any events or deactivate the plugin. Help!

(I added something to a previous post about this, but since they were complaining about it happening only to their event, and my problem has a 500 error on the ENTIRE site, I’m starting this thread.)

I tried deleting the plugin and reinstalling. Everything was fine, UNTIL I ADDED an Event! I get the “500 Internal Server Error” on ALL PAGES in the site when there is any events listed.

As soon as I unpublished the event (saved as draft), the error stopped. There is nothing odd about the event I published. I tried a bunch of different settings for the event, as well as the plugin settings, to see if one particular thing affected it, but nothing helped.

I’m going back to v.2.0.13 for now.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-event-calendar/

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • As per my other reply, this seems like a memory limitation.

Thread Starter jamminjames

(@jamminjames)

Well, that would be strange, as it doesn’t happen with 2.0.13. Wouldn’t that indicate there is a problem with the coding? I don’t have any other memory issues with this site.

Depends if with 2.0.13 you are just under your memory limit. 2.1.2 does use slightly more memory in certain situations.

(@jamminjames)

What would you recommend? I just reset it in wp-config.php to 96M, do you think that will do it? We’re not using a lot of memory with other plugins.

(@jamminjames)

According to the plugin you recommended on the other post, we have:

PHP Version : 5.3.28 / 32Bit OS
    Memory limit : 200 MB
    Memory usage : 36.82 MB

So, it doesn’t seem like that’s the problem at all.

(@jamminjames)

Okay, I updated and this time it seems ok.

So, I’m trying to understand: Do you think it’s working now because I upped the memory in wp-config.php? Does the memory limit the plugin shows for our site pertain to the allowable limit only, and WordPress installs still require the limit to be set in wp-config.php?

It’s possible, and most likely depends on the hosting setup.

FWIW: I’ve seen a lot of WP sites with a default 40MB limit. With all error messages turned off, the only error you tend to get is a 500 error with no details telling you what’s wrong.

That said, if WP-Memory-Usage says you have a 200MB limit, that should be the limit Ai1ec has as well.

Very strange, but very glad that the issue seems to be resolved.

If you get this issue again, I would suggest turning on debug logging and then look at the log output that should end up in the file: …../wp-content/debug.log

To turn on debug logging in WordPress, add/change the following in wp-config.php:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors',0);

(@jamminjames)

Okay, thanks!

(@jamminjames)

Unfortunately, this problem came back, although it’s not showing the 500 error, it just slows the site down to a crawl. Very slow loading. That’s what was happening before, but the difference was it ended up with a 500 error, where now it just takes forever to load.

Does importing a lot of events from the Google calendar, via iCal slow it down a lot? We added that feed the other day, and have just over 30 events from that. When in admin, looking at the list of events, and I try to turn to the next page of events, it takes forever to change pages.

(@jamminjames)

Okay, never mind, seems to be a server problem.

@jamminjames – I hate those. They’re always a pain. The worst thing tends to be oversubscribed hosts (where there are too many websites on the machine). As each site starts using memory (or CPU), random stuff happens because either other sites start running out of memory (well below any limits) or things take too long and then time out (not enough CPU cycles).

Unfortunately, many webhosts love to try and screw every last cent out of the piece of hardware a bunch of sites runs on, and often deny there is a problem until you rub their face in it with actual proof (which can be very hard to get).

FWIW: 30 events from an ICS feed is fine. I have over 230 events coming in from 2 feeds on my own site, and it doesn’t take long for the imports to process. The only thing I would recommend is NOT to run the import process hourly in production environments. That’s mainly there for testing prior to going live, to make sure that updates flow into your site when the feed changes.

(@jamminjames)

Okay, yes, we may have to work on the host about that.

We have it set to update just twice a day.

Once they are imported, is the info in the db? It doesn’t refer to the Google calendar every time it loads, does it?

And when it does update again, does it just look for newer additions, or does it go through the entire Google calendar?

The import brings the events into the database from Google. Ai1ec only queries the DB.

When it updates, it has to pull back the whole file. With the ICS spec there is no way to tell the host “I only want events changed since X date”. While this is a nice idea, no open standard inter-calendar spec has that ability (at least, that I am aware of).

In the case of ICS, since ICS files can be static files that are simply placed on a webhost, there is no way you can query the host for more info – it just knows there is a file here you want to fetch.

Once retrieved, Ai1ec then goes through and replaces the local version of the event with the latest one from the ICS file. Each event has an internal event ID (part of the ICS spec) that is used to figure out which specific event is which.

This does mean that if you edit an event from a feed locally, the next update will overwrite these changes. This is because there is no simple way to tell if this change was done locally or if the change in event details was on the feed side (eg: updated end time, change in description, etc).

BTW: There’s been a lot of talk about having a way to say “I don’t want this event to update from the originating feed” but nothing yet that has made it into code. Time.ly have been working on other issues, many of which a lot of people have considered more important.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error" on ALL PAGES!’ is closed to new replies.