WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 500 (Internal Server) Error message with Go Daddy (13 posts)

1. emily@phdesignshop.com
    Posted 3 years ago #

I am trying to install my first WP site, and I keep getting a 500 Internal Server Error message. I tried to set it up manually and that didn't work. Then I downloaded the application through GoDaddy and that didn't work either.

I see that this has been an issue with people that use hosting through GoDaddy.

Any ideas on how to get this successfully installed?

2. Jonathan Dingman
    Posted 3 years ago #

I'd had very bad experiences with Godaddy webhosting in the past, especially with WordPress.

I would recommend moving to another web host.

3. emily@phdesignshop.com
    Posted 3 years ago #

That seems to be the consensus of what I'm hearing.

Any recommendations for hosts that you've had good experience with?

4. Jonathan Dingman
    Posted 3 years ago #

I've been using HostGator for a while, been really happy there.

5. Go Daddy
    Go Daddy Support
    Posted 3 years ago #

Emily@phdesignshop.com,

500 errors can occur due to a number of reasons. Plugin conflicts, theme issues and bad .htaccess files are among the most common. We'll have a member of our support team get in touch to assist in getting things sorted out.

^Trevor

6. sandhiyaship
    Posted 3 years ago #

GoDaddy,

In webhosting accounts, where to find the .htaccess file

7. Go Daddy
    Go Daddy Support
    Posted 3 years ago #

@sandhiyaship
    It should be in the root folder of your WordPress install. You can locate it via an FTP client or the Go Daddy File Manager. This article provides instructions on accessing the File Manager - http://x.co/LeYc

^Alicia

8. gumbydecay
    Posted 3 years ago #

I have WP installed on numerous hosting sites and recently installed it on my Godaddy hosted sites and it choked. Continuous "500 Internal Server Error" messages. Not only would I get these messages, my pages consistently load extremely slow. I called Godaddy tech a number of times with no luck of a solution. Yesterday morning I opened a ticket and got an immediate response.

"Thank you for contacting Online Support. It appears you are getting internal server errors on your WordPress site. Upon reviewing your account, I am going to suggest that you upgrade your hosting to our 4GH plan, which offers improved performance. For more information, see 4GH Frequently Asked Questions."

I upgraded my hosting "for free" to the 4GH, my WordPress sites on Godaddy are flying.

Apparently the way 4GH server grids manage and share processor demands and loads made the difference.

I hope this helps someone else, SHANE

9. amcauser
    Posted 2 years ago #

Hi,

Can anyone please help me resolve the same problem?

I signed up to build my first website a few weeks ago with GoDaddy for Windows. Everything installed ok via the wordpress app and I was working on the website up until last weekend and suddenly I got the 500 internal server error message - and everytime since then.

GoDaddy support have said that this is a wordpress issue and the problem is not with them. They asked me to create an error log by changing the .htaccess file. I located this in the root directory and copied in their instruction but this didn't work eithjer so I can't even create a detailed error log.

Slightly worried because this seems to be a big problem with GoDaddy.

Many thanks,

AM

10. Go Daddy
    Go Daddy Support
    Posted 2 years ago #

amcauser,

You mentioned that you're using a Windows hosting plan. First, I recommend you switch to a Linux plan. Linux will perform better with PHP which is what WordPress uses. Here's a quick guide for making the change: http://x.co/a7t2
    It's quite possible that this alone will resolve your issue.

Also, you also mentioned .htaccess. An .htaccess file only works on Linux plans. If you're attempting to use one on a Windows server, that would explain why it's not doing anything.

11. amcauser
    Posted 2 years ago #

Hi there,

Thanks for coming back to me. I have switched to Linux but this hasn't solved the problem. Can you please let me know what I should do next?

Unfortunately GoDaddy support told me that I should be fiddling with my .htaccess file even though I told the chap that I had a windows plan!

Many thanks,

AM

12. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

Try:
    - switching to the Twenty Eleven theme by renaming your current theme's folder in wp-content/themes and adding "-old" to the end of the folder name using FTP or whatever file management application your host provides.

- resetting the plugins folder by FTP or phpMyAdmin.

- re-uploading all files & folders - except the wp-content folder - from a fresh download of your version of WordPress.

13. Go Daddy
    Go Daddy Support
    Posted 2 years ago #

amcauser,

It's very difficult to troubleshoot a 500 error because there's no explanation of what exactly is causing the error. As esmi suggested, though, it's always a good idea to disable any special theme and plugins you have when trying to nail down the cause of a problem.
    So, assuming you're able to access the admin for your site, I suggest switching to the default "twenty ten" or "twenty eleven" theme and disabling all your plugins. If that resolves the problem, you can then re-enable the theme and plugins one-by-one and test to see which may be causing a problem. Replacing the core files (as esmi recommended) is also a good idea.

If disabling the theme and plugins does not solve the problem, it might also be worth while to install a fresh copy of WordPress to a subfolder in the account just to make sure that a fresh install works properly. If it doesn't, you'll want to tell Support immediately so they can investigate further. If it does work but you can't get your original copy working, you can export and import your content from the old one to the new. This takes some more work because your blog and plugin settings wouldn't transfer, but it's a last-ditch effort to make sure you get everything working.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic