• Resolved Kayzig

(@kayzig)

So, after installing an update to my Comicpress Theme, my site started loading very, very slowly. I figured it wasn’t that strange, since I am not a stranger to having my site do all kinds of unusual loading-things, and needing its cache regularly cleared. Obviously, if I am here, not the case, haha.

I looked at my actual web page, boss-monster.com, and currently, nothing loads on it at ALL, but just before it went offline, the comic pages I had uploaded weren’t showing up. I checked the storyline structure, saw that it had changed so that my comic category was my blog, I switched them back, and I looked at my site. At first it just started loading slowly, then it wouldn’t load at all, instead giving me a 500 Internal Server Error.

I am fairly sure it is a problem I have with WordPress/Comicpress, as I can still access my FTP, and individual image urls and such will load. I just can’t load the main webpage, or my wp-admin log-in. But as I am using a program such as wordpress for its relative ease of use over learning how to do something from the ground up, I don’t know that for sure, and I’m not sure what happened. I’m just looking for an idea so I can look into how to fix it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Hi Kaywig,

To make sure the culprit is the updated version of the ComicPress, try disabling all plugins just in case, since the issue might be due to a plugin incompatibility.
    If you can’t access your wp-admin page, access your site through FTP, backup all your plugins, and start deleting them one by one. Each time you delete one, try to access your site. The general idea is to try to identify which plugin might be generating the problem.
    If it’s not a plugin, backup your ComicPress theme and remove it through the FTP from the themes folder to be able to access your site again, and try to contact the author about this issue.
    On a FYI note, based on this thread, it seems the plugin will be getting a major revamp in the following days. If they issues you are experiencing are indeed theme-related, they might go away after that update.

Cheers!

Thread Starter Kayzig

(@kayzig)

I already gave my log-in information to my hosting’s tech support, and I will try and wait until they contact me again to close my tickets with that, but that is very helpful! I was afraid I’d make it worse if I just started deleting things. I can at least get into my FTP and back stuff up, and I won’t have truly lost anything but comments, I think.

Thank you very much, I will let people know what ends up being the fix!

Actually this has to do with the wrong category ID #’s set in the comicpress-config.php file inside the theme.

Please refer to this forum thread:

http://forum.comicpress.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=480794

Thread Starter Kayzig

(@kayzig)

That suggestion fixed it, thank you very much! It ate my theme, but I put it all in before I really knew that you are supposed to use a child theme. I am quite obviously new to all of this, thank you again!

@kayzig: Glad you could figure it out!
    @frumph: Thanks for the heads up, 😉

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Internal Server Error, Comicpress Theme Update’ is closed to new replies.