WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 500 Internal server error after server move (3 posts)

1. webrightnow
    Posted 3 months ago #

Hi,

I had to move a WP website from one server to another. The URL stayed the same and I tried to follow the steps listed in the official documentation:

- I took a backup of the database via PhpMyadmin
    - I backed up the web files via FTP
    - I imported the database onto the new server
    - I uploaded the web files and directories (as far as I can tell all permissiona are correct)
    - I edited wp-config.php to reflect the new database details

Nameservers have switched and now the website just shows a 500 error.

I have no access to the admin either.

I connected by FTP as the main user for the account and found that it has no permission to delete or rename any of the folders.

When I uploaded the files originally, I was signed on via SSH as the root user for the server (because the domain was not active yet), so I'm wondering if that's the problem.

Do I need to delete all the files again and upload them as a regular FTP user for things to work, or has this nothing to do with it?

I'm confused, any help would be appreciated.

2. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 3 months ago #

Try checking your site's error logs for a more specific error message. Your hosts should be able to help you accessing your site's error logs.

3. webrightnow
    Posted 3 months ago #

Deleting the files and re-uploading them as the account owner fixed it. Initially only the home page was working and all other pages were showing a 404 error, but I was able to log onto the admin, change the permalink structure, save the settings and this finally brought the website back to normal.

You must log in to post.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.