Support » Fixing WordPress » 500 internal server error after moving WordPress

• Resolved Quimbly

(@quimbly)

I moved my WordPress site from one host to another, and also changed the folder location relative to the domain name.

I followed this procedure: http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress#If_You_Don.27t_Care_If_Your_Old_Blog_Works

…And used the “If You Don’t Care If Your Old Blog Works” option.

I copied the complete set of files from one site to the other.
    Then, I changed the WordPress Address and Site Address in the old site’s admin page, saved the results, then backed-up the database and restored it on the new host.

On the new host, I modified the wp-config file to match the new database information.

At that point, the home page of the site showed up perfectly. However, whenever I click on any of the links in the menu, I get the 500 internal server error.

Since then:
    – I disabled all plugins
    – I changed the theme back to the default Twenty Eleven

Same result. The home page shows fine, but sub pages give a 500 error.

– I tried renaming the .htaccess file, but just ran into different problems.

Any suggestions on how to further troubleshoot this, or, better yet, how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Thread Starter Quimbly

(@quimbly)

It’s now working. I believe it was a problem with the .htaccess file. Here’s what I did:

– I renamed this file to __htaccess
    – I uploaded an empty file and renamed it to .htaccess
    – I changed the permissions on .htaccess to 666 (rw-rw-rw)
    – I set permalinks to a different setting, saved it, then switched it back to my usual setting.
    – Then I changed the .htaccess file permissions back to 644 (rw-r–r–)

That seemed to fix the problems!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘500 internal server error after moving WordPress’ is closed to new replies.