WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] [closed] 500 Internal Server Error after changing Permalinks (5 posts)

1. bailey123123
    Posted 2 years ago #

I was fiddling with a download manager plugin, trying to find a decent one. Within the plugin I was able to change the URL that is shown publicly for each downloadable file.

I changed the URL to what I wanted the prefix to be and clicked Save.

The plugin then asked me to go into Settings -> Permalinks and resave the Permalinks page.

I clicked Save on the Permalinks page and then got kicked off the site completely. Everytime I try visiting my website now I get the horrible 500 Internal Server Error.

I have tried deleting the plugin via FTP. I have tried Importing a backup of my database through PHPmyadmin. But still, I cannot seem to get my head around this.

If anyone has experienced this before, or knows a fix I would be very greatful if you could let me know!!

Thank you

2. Mark (podz)
    Support Maven
    Posted 2 years ago #

Using ftp go delete the .htaccess file which is at site root.
    Or just rename it to htaccess.old in case you want to keep it.

3. bailey123123
    Posted 2 years ago #

Done exactly what you mentioned about 20 minutes ago.
    I renamed the .htaccess file to .htaccess_old and its working fine now! Thanks anyway!

4. KristinStewart
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi, the same thing happened to me. I changed the permalinks to "post name" and the error happened. I switched the back, but it didn't work or something else went wrong. I tried renaming the .htaccess file, but so far that has not worked. Is there any other advice you can offer? The site is http://www.orlandoconcertband.org.

Thank you!

5. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

@KristinStewart: As per the Forum Welcome, please post your own topic. Posting in an existing, 9 month old, topic prevents us from being able to track issues by topic. Added to which, your problem - despite any similarity in symptoms - is likely to be completely different.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic