• Hi all,

I managed to install and set up a blog on WordPress last year. A few months ago, I was unable to access it or the dashboard, kept getting 500 internal server errors. Today, I set aside some time to try to fix it. I am not very technical and there appears to be no live person to contact with problems. I have read some of the other posts on this issue but do not understand what I am supposed to do. Is there any one to walk me through some of the steps to try to regain access to my blog? Several posts mention changing the .htaccess – do not know how to do that but do have Filezilla on my computer.

Thank you!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • If you have FileZilla connect to your server and rename your .htaccess file to something like old.htaccess. Then see if you can get in. YOu can also contact your web host to see if they can help you. They may have made changes to your server.

also see if you can get to your server logs from you web host and post them here. That will help as well.

500 errors are generally PHP errors.

Another choice would be to edit your wp-config.php file, setting WP_DEBUG to true.

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

^ it should be in that file but set to false, if not put it in.

If it’s a wordpress/php error that can be caught it would now output that information when trying to access your site.

I highly doubt it’s an htaccess problem.

Thread Starter reel2303

(@reel2303)

Thank you – I will try that. Am not sure how to do it but am trying some things out. Will also check with web host.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘500 internal server error’ is closed to new replies.