WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

500 - Internal server error. (25 posts)

1. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some help. I've Googled this problem extensively and tried a number of things but nothing has worked.

I am getting this error when I try to update WordPress or any of the plugins:

500 - Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I get this message when I try to update WordPress to 3.3.1 or try to update any of my plugins. My plugins are also not working (ie. my Akisment is not catching Spam, my Formidable form isn't available on the website, etc.). I have deleted all of the plugins via FTP to see if one of them was causing it, but WordPress still won't update to 3.3.1.

Possible problem with the .htaccess file? A memory issue? The website runs fine despite it not being able to update. It's not a problem apparently with the host -- or so they say. Any ideas? Shoot from the hip and please explain like I am a newbie. Because I am. Ha!

Thanks!
    Shawn

2. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

Have you tried:

- deactivating all plugins to see if this resolves the problem. If this works, re-activate the plugins one by one until you find the problematic plugin(s).

- switching to the Twenty Eleven theme to rule out any theme-specific problems.

- resetting the plugins folder by FTP or PhpMyAdmin. Sometimes, an apparently inactive plugin can still cause problems.

- re-uploading the wp-admin and wp-includes folders from a fresh download of WordPress.

3. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

- All plugins are deactivated and it didn't work.

- I switched to Twenty Eleven and the update won't work.

- When I try to go back to my theme Arras or Child Arras, I get this message:

"The thumbnails cache directory (C:\HostingSpaces\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot/wp-content/themes/arras/library/cache) is not writable. You will need to set the directory's permissions 755 or 777 for the thumbnails to work."

I've gone into my website using FTP and that "cache" folder doesn't even exist. haha I have a feeling this is a permissions type situation but I have no idea how to fix it.

4. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

I also just tried to reinstall the wp-admin and wp-includes folders. While that seems to have updated to 3.3.1, I'm still getting this message:

An automated WordPress update has failed to complete - please attempt the update again now.

When I try to update it, I still get the 500 error. And when I try to update the plugins I have, I still get the 500 error.

5. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

Deactivate all plugins
    Switch to the Twenty Eleven theme
    Re-run the upgrade

6. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

All plugins are deactivated.

I have changed the site to Twenty Eleven.

I have re-run the upgrade and I get the 500 Error.

7. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

And when I try to change back to Arras or Arras Child, I still get this:

The thumbnails cache directory (C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot/wp-content/themes/arras/library/cache) is not writable. You will need to set the directory's permissions 755 or 777 for the thumbnails to work.

Thoughts?

8. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

Forget Arras for the moment. Is the site now running normally using Twenty Eleven? Are all plugins re-activated?

9. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

Is this the url? http://terrybrooks.net/ ?

10. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

Esmi, the site is now running on Twenty Eleven. Hard to keep it there since this is an author's website, but I'll do for the moment.

The plugins can't be reactivated now because:

Warning: require_once(C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/formidable/classes/models/FrmSettings.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot\wp-content\plugins\formidable\formidable.php on line 45 Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot/wp-content/plugins/formidable/classes/models/FrmSettings.php' (include_path='.') in C:\HostingSpaces\agxiwnvg\terrybrooks.net\wwwroot\wp-content\plugins\formidable\formidable.php on line 45

And yes, kmessinger, that is the URL.

11. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

OK - we will get there eventually but if you keep it to just 1 step at a time, you tend to get there faster (and with more remaining hair) in the long run. Right now, it looks like you have a bad or damaged Formidable plugin. You could try deleting the plugin's folder via FTP and then re-uploading a fresh copy to see if that fixes the current error.

12. kmessinger
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

According to the source code it is running 3.3.1.

[edit] on a windows server.

13. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

KMessinger, via FTP, I uploaded the wp-includes and wp-admin folders from 3.3.1 as Esmi suggested. That's why it is running 3.3.1. But I still have this message at the top:

An automated WordPress update has failed to complete - please attempt the update again now.

When I try to Re-Run 3.3.1 to get rid of that message, I get the 500 Error still.

14. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

Esmi, 1 step at a time. :)

I downloaded the newest upgrade for Formidable and overwrote the plugin via FTP. It seems to be working now. So progress!

But when I try to update the WordPress to 3.3.1 -- without the automated update fail there -- I still get the 500 Error. I also have one more plugin -- Simple Lightbox -- that won't update and that gives me the Error.

15. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

That sounds like the database isn't being updated. How handy are you with Phpmyadmin?

16. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

I'm not. I'm an actually awful at back end stuff. If you take me through step by step, I might be able to. What do you think needs to happen with the database?

17. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

I think it might help to check exactly what database version you are using. Your hosts will able to tell you how to access Phpmyadmin (or another db management tool). Once you logged in, locate your WordPress database and find the wp-options table. Use 'Browse' to locate the value for the option name db_version and post that value here. That will let us know if this is a database upgrade issue.

What error are you getting with the lightbox plugin?

18. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

I think you are right, it's a database issue of some kind. Even though I have the newest Formidable form plugin, I keep getting this message now:

Your Formidable database needs to be updated.
    Please deactivate and reactivate the plugin to fix this or Update Now

When I click Update Now, the message disappears until I come back to the Dashboard. And there it is again, staring me right in the face. haha

19. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

When I try to update the Lightbox plugin, I get this:

500 - Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I'll login into the phpmyadmin and see if I can get what's needed. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

20. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

Okay, I logged in, found the right table, but didn't find the right option name. Here are all 29 option names and their values here:

siteurl http://www.terrybrooks.net/ yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 2 0 blogname The Official Terry Brooks Website yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 3 0 blogdescription The website for New York Times bestselling author,... yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 4 0 users_can_register 0 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 5 0 admin_email shawn@signedpage.com yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 6 0 start_of_week 1 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 7 0 use_balanceTags yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 8 0 use_smilies 1 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 9 0 require_name_email 1 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 10 0 comments_notify 1 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 11 0 posts_per_rss 10 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 12 0 rss_use_excerpt 0 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 13 0 mailserver_url mail.example.com yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 14 0 mailserver_login login@example.com yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 15 0 mailserver_pass password yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 16 0 mailserver_port 110 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 17 0 default_category 1 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 18 0 default_comment_status open yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 19 0 default_ping_status open yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 20 0 default_pingback_flag yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 21 0 default_post_edit_rows 10 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 22 0 posts_per_page 5 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 23 0 date_format F j, Y yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 24 0 time_format g:i a yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 25 0 links_updated_date_format F j, Y g:i a yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 26 0 links_recently_updated_prepend yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 27 0 links_recently_updated_append
    yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 28 0 links_recently_updated_time 120 yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 29 0 comment_moderation yes
    Edit Edit Copy Copy Delete Delete 30 0 moderation_notify 1

21. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

I think you'll find that there are more pages of options.

22. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

db_version value: 19470

Let me know if that sounds right...

23. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

Still there, Esmi?

24. esmi
    Forum Moderator
    Posted 2 years ago #

Sorry - yes. That db version is right - which is good. Can you try:
    1. deleting everything except your wp-content folder and your wp-config.php & .htaccess files.
    2. re-uploading everything except the wp-content folder from a fresh download of WordPress
    3. re-running the upgrade using wp-admin/upgrade.php

25. scspeakman
    Posted 2 years ago #

Got it fixed. My host moved servers and didn't notify me. Or if they did, I missed it. I had to change the hostname in the config file and now it works again. :)

Thanks for all the help!!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic