WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

500 Internal Server Error (23 posts)

1. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

Hi

I'm trying to access /wp-admin/edit.php for to edit my posts. When I do so I'm getting this error:

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, email and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

I have contacted b-one, but not much help to get from them. The suggested that I removed the .htaccess file. I could only find one .htaccess file at that was at root level. It did not help removing that one.

Does anyone have suggestions about what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    MrBenz

2. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

Anyone? please.

3. basketball
    Posted 8 years ago #

Can you go into your wp-admin folder at all? Or is it just the edit.php page?

4. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

Just the edit.php page.

edit-pages.php for example works fine.

I have deleted the htaccess file at root level incase that should have anything to do with it.

5. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

anybody?

6. Chris_K
    Posted 8 years ago #

Has it ever worked or is this a new install?

Is the host running mod_security?

7. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

It has worked, but I upgraded from wp 2.0 to 2.0.4 and it could be after that it stoped working. I'm not sure.

I'm using b-one.net as host. It has worked just fine before. I know the run php in safe mod, but I think they have always done that

8. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

Does anyone know if b-one.net is running mod_security?

9. vkaryl
    Posted 8 years ago #

What did b-one.net support tell you when you asked them?

10. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

I just said that the could not find anything in the logs. And that I should remove the htaccess file and everything should be ok. If that didn't work I had to contact WordPress.

Not much help in other words.

11. whooami
    Posted 8 years ago #

Does anyone know if b-one.net is running mod_security?

you can check that yourself, if you didnt already ask them?

<php phpinfo(); ?>

12. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

13. whooami
    Posted 8 years ago #

welp, its apache, no output for the installed modules though.

Do this :

add an .htaccess to your wp-admin directory. In it you want the following:

SecFilterEngine Off

If it is mod_security thats tieing you up, that will fix it. If it doesnt fix it, its not mod_security. Atleast you can rule that out.

14. cheesemasterdan
    Posted 8 years ago #

A 500 error would show up in a log somewhere it's just whether you can see the log (and it sounds like your hosting company don't want to help)... Do you get a control panel you log into to make changes to your site?? If so, is there an error logs section in it anywhere?? Logging is turned on in your PHP config, but there isn't a file name specified so I'm not sure what it does in that instance... Does anyone know if there is a default error log name???
    Have a look in the directory that edit.php is in and see if there are any files that were not in the original WordPress install which might be an error log...

15. whooami
    Posted 8 years ago #

Does anyone know if there is a default error log name???

for php errors, yes, its called error_log.

16. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

When making a empty .htaccess file that only has SecFilterEngine Off in it, I couldn't access anything within the admin area.

17. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

I found some www log files.

After going trough them I found this line with edit.php in it.

[04/Sep/2006:12:02:45 +0200] "GET /blog/wp-admin/edit.php HTTP/1.1" 500 537 "http://www.catonett.com/blog/wp-admin/" "Opera/9.01 (Windows NT 5.1; U; nb)"

But it does not tell me much. Doesn't look like anything is wrong.

18. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

no one?

19. whooami
    Posted 8 years ago #

thats just your standard apache access log, that isnt an apache error log.

If you have cpanel available, there is a running error log available there look under Web/FTP Stats, its (typically) the bottom link that says : Error Log

Mind you that might not have alot of info since 500 errors are pretty generic already.

---------------------------------

You really need to communicate with your host (again)

Are they OR are they not using mod_security?

Thats a prime question that ought to be answered by them. Im afraid to say that I dont trust the results you reported back the other day, and your phpinfo was incluclusive.

---

I would also UPLOAD fresh copies of ALL of the files inside wp-admin/ to make sure that youre not generating EOS errors w/o realizing it. You cant seem to locate you error log so you have no way of knowing.

Barring all of that, i would be interested in knowing if that is the ONLY page youre having trouble with. I didnt see any info on that. Does EVERY other page load correctly, that you can tell..

20. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

My host does not run mod_security.

I'm still waiting for the error logs

21. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

My host could not find anything in the error logs.. What should I do???

22. mrbenz
    Posted 8 years ago #

Please, I'm going crazy here. Can someone go wild on my server and figure this out, if I grant access?

23. whooami
    Posted 8 years ago #

"Can someone go wild on my server and figure this out, if I grant access?"

Theres no guarantee of that. You might possibly solicit one of the http://install4free.wordpress.com/ people.

I would also be willing to look, but like I said there are no guarantees that anyone else can fix.

Need a resume on me: Im 42, or 41 (I actively forget my age), have my own domain (its linked to my name) and Im not only active here but I admin the b2evolution (another blog package) forums. Ive also done phpBB installs, installed custom mods for phpBB, etc..written a few b2evo hacks and a few semi-to-not-at-all-popular wordpress plugins

Im not blowing my horn, I just wouldnt trust someone without knowing atleast the bare minimum about them.

If youre interested in my taking a look, ill be happy to, drop a note to me via the contact form on my site.

Good luck either way :)

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic