• everything was good, this morning i turned on static pages and have since turned them off now i get a internal 500 error if i try to go anywhere. After searching around support I found a few other mentions of this and tried deleting my .htaccess file. When I do everything works except my permalinks. When i go to admin and try to click on rewrite permalinks it instantly gives me a internal 500 error again. I have been running this install of wordpress for around a year. I have no idea where to look. I’ve checked permissions and they seem fine. If i look in the error log it says:

[Fri Mar 25 19:16:06 2005] [alert] [client 70.93.23.218] /home/forgott/forgottenvoid.com/.htaccess: RewriteCond: cannot compile regular expression ‘-f’\n
    [Fri Mar 25 19:16:06 2005] [alert] [client 70.93.23.218] /home/forgott/forgottenvoid.com/.htaccess: RewriteRule: cannot compile regular expression ‘^archives/category/(.+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$’\n

So the .htaccess file is getting refilled but with an error.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Thread Starter sparkyewu

(@sparkyewu)

deleted the permilinks string in the database, went to options and reset it, rewrote and all is working.

graybo

(@graybo)

I’ve got the same problem, but have tried this solution without success – all that happens is that the same error is repeated. Suggestions?

graybo

(@graybo)

I’ve noticed that when WP generates .htaccess, my server error logs show the following error:
    [Fri Apr 8 11:48:45 2005] [error] mod_gzip: TRANSMIT_ERROR:32

Then, if I try to access my blog or the admin pages, I get a server 500 error and the following error message in the error logs:
    [Fri Apr 8 11:52:37 2005] [alert] [client 81.130.49.105] /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/grayblog.co.uk/httpdocs/.htaccess: RewriteRule: cannot compile regular expression '^?p=category/(.+)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$'\n

For now, I’ve reverted to blank .htaccess and CHMODed 664 to prevent WP from overwriting it and causing this error. However, I’d like to fix this and allow WP to write the .htaccess file so I can have pretty (and functioning) permalinks.
    So, the questions are:
    1. why is the TRANSMIT_ERROR being generated? (and what does it mean? – I’m no newbie, but I’m out of my depth now)
    2. how do I fix it?

http://www.grayblog.co.uk

graybo

(@graybo)

hmm. That second error goes outside the column width of the forum – here it is, broken over several lines for readability:
    [Fri Apr 8 11:52:37 2005] [alert] [client 81.130.49.105] /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/
    grayblog.co.uk/httpdocs/.htaccess:
    RewriteRule: cannot compile regular expression
    '^?p=category/(.+)/feed/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$'\n

graybo

(@graybo)

I should have added a further question: should I worry about the transmit_error? Is it causing the problem with htaccess not being compiled? Clearly the failure of htaccess is the real problem here.

Do I need more tea and toast?

OK, I can answer that last one myself.

I recently upgraded from 1.2.2 to 1.5 and consider myself a WP enthusiast. But I’ve been struggling with this for a few days now, and have intensively searched the Codex and forums. TIA.

iand

(@iand)

Do you have ‘WordPress should compress articles (gzip) if browsers ask for them ‘ ticked in options – reading? Maybe untick it? I doubt they are related but it might be worth a try.

graybo

(@graybo)

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is unchecked already.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘500 internal server error’ is closed to new replies.