WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 500 internal error. (7 posts)

1. anappthatsmine
    Posted 1 year ago #

So I got a little problem. I know there are other articles on the forum that are about this issue but mine is a bit different.

I am getting the 500 internal error when visiting one of my sites that I maintain. recently up updated all of the plugins and to the newest WordPress. Now I can't even get into the dashboard. I have been messing around with it for hours and have only gotten the page to load a couple times.

The problem I have is I do not have access to the FTP server. Someone else host the site for the person I maintain the WordPress site for. The person with the hosting has fallen off the map. I need a solution without having to get in the files with FTP.

Is this even possible? I have successfully logged into the dashboard a couple times and disabled a few plugins I thought might be causing the problems. Is there any way to add a PHP file to Up the memory?

2. Krishna
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

Can you still access the dashboard and the hosting account?

Site URL?

3. anappthatsmine
    Posted 1 year ago #

I cannot access the hosting account. I can get to the dashboard every now and then. I think the php is out of memory.

4. Krishna
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

For doing any kind of troubleshooting you have to have access to your hosting account, FTP, admin dashboard, etc. Now as per your statements, you do not have any of these. Who really owns the site?

Site URL?

5. anappthatsmine
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hey thank you for helping. The person that owns the domain is hosting it. It is the person that build the WordPress site a year or 2 ago.

I figured it out though. Anyone with the same problems might need this in the future.

9 out of 10 times when trying to access the dashboard I would get the 500 error. This told me that there was not enough memory. Without having access to the php files through FTP there is no way to change this.

When I finally got into the dashboard I rushed to the plugins page. Disabled everything.
    No more 500 error. But I needed those plugins... So I found a plugin called Change memory limit. installed and activated. The site was set to 15mb! Changed that to 200mb because I run a lot of plugins.
    when I activated my plugins again I was using about 45 mb. DOH!

Thanks again krishna. Is there a limit to memory

6. Krishna
    Volunteer Moderator
    Posted 1 year ago #

Glad to note that you could solve the problem.

7. anappthatsmine
    Posted 1 year ago #

My one recommendation for anyone that reads this. Own your own domain! If someone else owns it and runs it for you Get them to transfer it to you ASAP. If something happens to them your out of luck!

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic