WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

500 error when deleting a user - advice please (7 posts)

1. neil40
    Posted 2 years ago #

Hi

For the first time in my WP install, I tried to delete a user in my database - someone who had added himself completely unnattached to the subject of my site, and posted in my 'Mingle Forum' add in.
    When I went to confirm deletion of this user, I just get taken to a 500 Internal server error page

How should I troubleshoot this to remove the user? I must add that at first I removed his post from the forum before trying to remove the user

Thanks
    Neil

2. Anthony
    Posted 2 years ago #

Do you have any error logs you can look at to find what is triggering the 500 errors?

3. MickeyRoush
    Posted 2 years ago #

I may be misunderstanding you. Did you try to remove the user via your database (phpMyAdmin or other) or through your dashboard?

I believe those posts will be assigned to an administrator or deleted when you remove the user.

4. neil40
    Posted 2 years ago #

MickeyRoush - I am doing the User deletion via the Dashboard

First, I went to the Forum, deleted the rogue users post then went to the Dashboard, and tried to delete the user, using both the Delete under his name in the list as you hover over it, and also ticking him and using the options at the top of the list. Both produce the same result - the 500 error.

Where would I find an error log?

5. Anthony
    Posted 2 years ago #

You might be able to find a file labeled "error_log" in the root directory of your website, that is the error log.

6. Anthony
    Posted 2 years ago #

Additionally you can find error logs in the "Logs" section of CPanel(if you use it).

7. MickeyRoush
    Posted 2 years ago #

Where would I find an error log?

If you don't have error logging, check your server logs, and search for 500.

You could try to delete the user in your phpMyAdmin. (Make a backup first!) In your phpMyAdmin go to wp_users, browse, and you should see a list of all your users. Be careful!

http://codex.wordpress.org/phpMyAdmin

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.