• I recently uploaded and installed wordpress on my hosting server. Once I entered the ad-min panel everything seemed fine until I tried to click “Appearances-Themes.” It automatically gives me a 500 internal server error. The same thing happens when I try clicking on “Plug-ins.” All other links and pages work fine within the ad-min panel.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

Error 500 ISE is very generic and can be caused by various problems including server errors. Here are a few things you can try to solve it:
    – Your first step should be checking your site’s error logs for a more specific error message. If you need help locating them, ask your hosting provider to help you with that.
    – it could be problem with the plugins, try resetting the plugins folder by FTP or phpMyAdmin.
    – it could be a problem with the theme. Momentarily, try switching to the default WordPress theme via FTP or whatever file management application your host provides by renaming your current theme to rule out any theme specific issue.
    – It may also indicate a problem with the configuration on the server. Usually your hosting company tech support can help.
    – If the above troubleshooting steps fail to resolve the issue, try manually re-uploading all files and folders EXCEPT the wp-config.php file and the /wp-content/ directory from a fresh download of WordPress. Make sure that you delete the old copies of files & folder before uploading the new ones. Read the Manual Update directions first!

I just had this exact issue and thought I’d post the answer here if anyone is still interested, or to help people in the future.

It’s a PHP versioning issue – my hosting account was set to PHP 5.2, apparently WordPress needed a more recent version. I don’t know specifically what version PHP was upgraded to, but hopefully this points you in the right direction.

Cheers.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘500 error when clicking on "Themes" and "Plugins"’ is closed to new replies.