Support » Installing WordPress » 500 error – what’s doing it?!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Did you set up a different database for this installation? Sounds like an htaccess error.

Thread Starter winnopeg

(@winnopeg)

Of course… I know, that’s what a friend told me but he looked at it and couldn’t find anything wrong…

Well, I’d contact your host support then as it is either a problem with their setup or your htaccess files.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

A 500 error (“internal server error”) is a generic error which is displayed when the actual error has happened internally (inside the server) and cannot be displayed in your browser. The real error is saved in your server error log. So, you will have to check their or ask your hosting provider what caused the error. As the standard error message states:

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at yourdomain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Thread Starter winnopeg

(@winnopeg)

Yep. I did contact my host (godaddy.com) and they pretty much told me to go screw myself, they don’t care – it’s something I did. And I looked for any kind of thing reporting a 500 error, or 404 or anything and there is none – the godaddy CPs include nothing on the subject. So…

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

Time to switch hosting providers?

While you consider that, make a backup copy of your .htaccess file, save it to your hard drive, and delete the .htaccess file from the server. Let us know if that fixes your internal server error problem.

Thread Starter winnopeg

(@winnopeg)

I’ve only been using godaddy for a month and I payed for a year 😛

Well, that’s kinda screwed up… It works! Thanks.

Moderator James Huff

(@macmanx)

Volunteer Moderator

You can probably get a refund for the rest of the year if you choose to make your escape now.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘500 error – what’s doing it?!’ is closed to new replies.