• Hello,

For the last few days I have been getting server error 500s on my site. There is no single page affected by the look of things it just happens randomly at certain times. I have checked my error logs and notice one error that keeps popping up, this is an example of the message the error logs give:

Inside mod_dir, setting document_root to PARENT_DOCUMENT_ROOT

I think it is my .htaccess file but I have no experience in editing this file so I don’t want to risk playing with it to much. Here is the info:

# BEGIN W3TC CDN
    <FilesMatch “\.(ttf|otf|eot|woff)$”>
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin “*”
    </IfModule>
    </FilesMatch>
    # END W3TC CDN
    # BEGIN W3TC Browser Cache
    <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary
    </IfModule>
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css text/x-component application/x-javascript application/javascript text/javascript text/x-js text/html text/richtext image/svg+xml text/plain text/xsd text/xsl text/xml image/x-icon application/json
    <IfModule mod_mime.c>
    # DEFLATE by extension
    AddOutputFilter DEFLATE js css htm html xml
    </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
    # END W3TC Browser Cache
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ – [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

Thanks for any help it is much appreciated!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Thread Starter Alexander

(@torlock)

Forgot the domain (just encase it helps) http://rerral.com

[No bumping, thank you.]

Try checking your site’s error logs for a more specific error message. Your hosts should be able to help you in accessing your site’s error logs.

Thread Starter Alexander

(@torlock)

Helle Esmi,

I have to errors in the error logs:

This one which is repeatedly popping up

[Sun Jul 07 11:35:44 2013] [11063472] [dir:error] [client] Inside mod_dir, setting document_root to PARENT_DOCUMENT_ROOT : /var/chroot/home/content/72/11063472/html, referer http://rerral.com/

And this on which occasionally pops up:

[Sun Jul 07 11:35:42 2013] [11063472] [core:error] [client] AH00124: Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary. Use ‘LogLevel debug’ to get a backtrace., referer http://rerral.com/

Both of those errors are server-specific and need to be addressed by your hosts. The second one particularly could cause problems. Try asking your hosts for assistance and especially an explanation as to why you are getting the second error.

Thread Starter Alexander

(@torlock)

Perfect I shall call them now, thanks alot!

ok. This happened to me on a large site that uses WordPress.

After pulling my hair out for two days I believe I solved the problem.

I looked in my php5.ini file check your php.ini too and REMOVED the Zend optimizer.

Then poof! No more 500 errors.

whew!

I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Thread Starter Alexander

(@torlock)

Hello again,

I have talked to my host (GoDaddy) it seems the first error with mod_dir in it more of a warning due to something wordpress is doing. Apparently it should be looked at but isn’t ‘too big a deal’.

As for the second error:

(Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use ‘LimitInternalRecursion’ to increase the limit if necessary. Use ‘LogLevel debug’ to get a backtrace)

They seem to think it is a plugin causing it. Trouble is, because the error happens randomly at different time intervals it is going to take a while to deactivate and reactivate each plugin to find this out.

I think it may well be the .htaccess file though as I looked up the error separately and found this:

http://www.andrew-kirkpatrick.com/2012/06/apache-virtualhost-htaccess-issue-request-exceeded-the-limit-of-10-internal-redirects-redirected-from-r-uri/

Maybe it is worth a go? I know that there is some generic code in the htaccess file but im not should if tampering with it is a good idea. I got this code off that page:

RewriteRule ^(.+)$ /index.php/$1 [NC,L,QSA]

I looked in my php5.ini file check your php.ini too and REMOVED the Zend optimizer.

Thanks for the advice there but I just checked my ini file and all of the zend optimiser section is already commented out.

You’d need to contact the developer of W3TC about that section of your .htaccess file but the WordPress rewrite/permalink rules look fine to me.

I was having this problem with a client on godaddy. I finally tracked it down to a conflict between apache 2.4 and mod filter.

I was using http://html5boilerplate.com/ and changed the mod filter section to this

<IfModule mod_filter.c>
        <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
            AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/atom+xml \
                                          application/javascript \
                                          application/json \
                                          application/rss+xml \
                                          application/vnd.ms-fontobject \
                                          application/x-font-ttf \
                                          application/xhtml+xml \
                                          application/xml \
                                          font/opentype \
                                          image/svg+xml \
                                          image/x-icon \
                                          text/css \
                                          text/html \
                                          text/plain \
                                          text/x-component \
                                          text/xml
        </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘500 Error can you help me with my .htaccess?’ is closed to new replies.