WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

500 error and scripts being killed due to cron? (8 posts)

1. libertygirl
    Posted 1 year ago #

I'm using WordPress 3.5 on a multisite with the directorypress theme from Premiumpress.

My website randomly gives me a 500 internal error message. I did a lot of googling and in the end contacted my hosts.

They told me to check my error log. Well that was 132MB large and had the following message over and over:

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/pdo.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613/pdo.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0

They replied with the following message:

"Hello Donna,

It seems you scripts were being killed by lfd for excessing usage of memory. Please find the logs:

====
    Dec 28 12:28:18 panda lfd[974624]: *User Processing* PID:974195 Kill:1 User:ar01ickl VM:290(MB) EXE:/usr/bin/php CMD:/usr/bin/php /home/ar01ickl/public_html/wp-cron.php
    ====

I have exempted you from being killed as of now, which should fix the issue. However, we would strongly advice you to optimise your scripts from using too much of server memory, please seek assistance from web-developer/script vendor.

Kind regards,
    Roger"

Now that may as well be written in Swahili as far as I'm concerned. Could you please help me as I can't get any further with them and am thinking I'll have to uninstall directorypress and that's the LAST thing I want to do because I love it so much!!!!!

I look forward to your reply. I do hope you've had a lovely Christmas. :-)

Donna
    -x-

2. That's a PDO_SQLITE error...

And apparently it is a php5.3 bug.
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/undefined-symbol-sqlite3_libversion-148993.html#post632357

If they say Cron is killing it you can turn it off by putting define('DISABLE_WP_CRON', true); in your wp-config, but that's generally not a good idea and you won't be able to schedule posts.

3. libertygirl
    Posted 1 year ago #

Thank you for such a speedy reply. Right, I think I understand what you've said.

I totally agree that would be a bad thing as relying on scheduled posts is a must.

Is there anyway of making it check daily rather than hourly or whatever it does?

I just feel that there must be a way of reducing it because surely nobody would use wordpress otherwise?

Thanks again for your patience with me on this learning curve.

Donna
    -x-

4. Samuel Wood (Otto)
    Tech Ninja
    Posted 1 year ago #

Is there anyway of making it check daily rather than hourly or whatever it does?

It doesn't check hourly or daily. wp-cron only runs when it actually has some stuff that it needs to do, like publishing a post.

5. libertygirl
    Posted 1 year ago #

Ah so that sort of explains why my CPU goes through the roof some days and not others? I'm posting about 50 posts a day because I'm inputting data into directorypress.

You see my website isn't live yet so I figured it wasn't people viewing.

I read somewhere else that it runs everytime somebody views a page. Do you agree with that?

I'm still learning so thank you for your patience in answering my above questions.

Donna
    -x-

6. It's weird.

Every time you load a page, WP checks if there's anything for WP-Cron to run and, if so, calls wp-cron.php. So if you disable it, you have to run that manually (which ironically you could do via a cron job).

7. libertygirl
    Posted 1 year ago #

You see all this cron stuff is new to me. I've googled for england about cron jobs but I don't understand what code I have to put in on cpanel.

Does each plug in do its own cron independently of the wp-cron.php?

For example all in one events, wysija newsletters etc.

Thank you for your time.

Donna
    -x-

8. Does each plug in do its own cron independently of the wp-cron.php?

I was about to say no, but ... I don't know. A -good- plugin uses wp_schedule_event() to kick off events.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic