• Resolved dannydanny

(@dannydanny)

Just yesterday, my host suspended my account (six websites, 4 WordPress installations, my sister’s business site an countless email accounts) out of the blue.

When I called them (freaking out) to ask them what happened, they said that some plugin tried making 45 simultaneous backups on my account so the load on the server was too heavy so they had to suspend my account.

They said that it was updraftplus and to set my cron to manual or something like that. I just turned off automatic backups on updraftplus and set it to manual.

Here is the log file.

http://pastebin.com/mSz4SFWH

http://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Plugin Author David Anderson

(@davidanderson)

Hi dannydanny,

Sorry to hear this! I’ve had this report a few times, and each time we’ve investigated it, we found that there was one UpdraftPlus process running, and (various) other processes from the same website. The web host had looked at the process using the most resources (which, since a backup wants to read and write your entire website, files + database, is always going to be a backup process if one is running). Then they saved themselves some work and decided that the other (however many) processes were probably backups too. (They didn’t save me any work by doing that!!).

To verify if you had 45 backup processes running, go via FTP into your web space, and into wp-content/updraft. Then look for 45 log files from the same date. (The log files are name things like log.(stuff).txt).

Not every log file is a backup – other operations are also logged (downloads and restores). But, it’ll give you an upper-limit. Any less than 1Kb in length aren’t backups.

David

Thread Starter dannydanny

(@dannydanny)

Hi,

I have emailed the management team at my host (again) and let them know that there is only ONE log file from that date. And it’s about 4 hours before they said the spike occurred.

So it seems apparent to me that updraftplus was not the culprit as it wasn’t even running when they shut me down.

I’ve had really good luck with my host; in fact, I’m an affiliate for them. But after this fiasco, I don’t think I trust them.

Does the log file I showed you look normal?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your responsiveness on this forum. So many plugin authors are silent when it comes to support.

Plugin Author David Anderson

(@davidanderson)

Hi dannydanny,

The log file looks normal – except that the site doesn’t appear to be visited much, so UD isn’t getting many chances given to it by WordPress to advance the backup.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your responsiveness on this forum. So many plugin authors are silent when it comes to support.

Now that I’m ‘on the other side of the fence’, I have some sympathy… when you create a plugin, you don’t realise quite what you’re taking on. The only economic way to make it work is to have some means of making money from the plugin to fund it, or some other strong motive. It’s not easy. This does make choosing plugins a bit dangerous… some plugins look really good; but there’s no way of knowing if the author will be motivated to still be here in 6 months time. Without UpdraftPlus Premium, it’d be hard to have this support forum manned. Thankfully it makes it much more than possible, so hopefully everyone’s happy. (Well, apart from the tiny minority of people who sent hate-mail saying that we MUST give them free support on the free plugin NOW!!!, because that’s OUR DUTY to GIVE THEM FREE STUFF NOW, etc. Whinge over. 😉 ).

David

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘45 Simultaneous Backups (according to my web host)’ is closed to new replies.