• Resolved hermida

(@hermida)

I just upgraded to WordPress 3.0 from WPMU. The images on the site are not appearing: http://thethunderbird.ca/

The images are in the directory:
    /thethunderbird.ca/html/wp-content/blogs.dir

Could someone suggest which instruction I need to change to make the images work again?

Many thanks.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • I am having this same problem. In the media listing and the post edit pages, the text attached to all the images is there, but the images are not. When I upload a new image, everything acts the way it should, but the image itself does not appear. I upgraded from 2.9.2

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I think I’m having the same issue – all across the board on all of my WP installs.

The problem seems to be that the directory blogs.dir is inaccessible. My host is BlueHost – and I’ve contacted them asking about the ownership of the directory, but they say it is a problem with WP – and all they can offer me is restoring my account to a backup.

I found this thread where a host fixed the problem with a script.

I’ve tried everything – even renaming the blogs.dir directory and changing permissions – but the image files won’t even show up on the net. Just re-directs to the WP 404 page.

It’s like WP can’t see this directory?

Help!

Found this here:

The issue here with 3.0 is that if an existing WP 2.9.2 install with uploaded media upgrades to 3.0 and enables the network the blog option for the upload_path can’t be changed to the blogs.dir folder because the existing media becomes inaccessible.

But what I don’t know is – How is it fixed?

I tried to upload new images, and they don’t work either – so I don’t think the problem is only with existing media.

Best way to start troubleshooting is to look at the source URL

http://thethunderbird.ca/files/cache/9690_NpAdvSubFea.jpg

random one off the homepage. When I look it just gives me that url printed on the screen.

the not found could mean it’s not reading the image url rewriting in the htaccess file. When you upgraded from MU, you should have seen two mesages. One was about blogs.php how was moved and that you needed to update your htaccess.

Did you do that?

Thread Starter hermida

(@hermida)

I removed the blogs.php file as instructed and then updated the htaccess to the details below:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ – [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ – [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

Thanks

I thought that blogs.php was no longer needed – and to be deleted?

I did update the htaccess file this is what it says:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

My host ran a script to fix any potential ownership problems with the files, and this did nothing but delete my already created htaccess files.

Now here’s something interesting:

If I put the file in the blogs.dir directory without any subdirectories then the file is accessible.

See here: http://hanover4square.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/4sqlogo.jpg

It is still fine here: http://hanover4square.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/4sqlogo.jpg

But if I move the same file to the files sub-directory within blogs.dir it is not accessible?

See here: http://hanover4square.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/4sqlogo.jpg

But if I create a sub-directory called file1 the file is accessible?

See here: http://hanover4square.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/file1/4sqlogo.jpg

The permission on blogs.dir/1/files was 777 – so I changed it to 755 – but that didn’t help.

There must be an issue with the upload path somewhere in the code?

Just noting this is the relevant line.

# uploaded files

In ms-sites.php (through Super Admin – Sites – Edit Site) I see this:

Upload path: wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files
    Fileupload Url: http://hanover4square.org/files

I’m not sure if that has anything to do with this or not?

Also found the old WPMU rewrite rule was:

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

Where blogs.php was actually a file in wp-content.

ms-files.php doesn’t exist – even in wp-includes?

Thread Starter hermida

(@hermida)

Thanks Andrea. I don’t understand why the image path is not updating. Is there another php file that needs to be changed/updated?

No, there isn’t.

There must be an issue with the upload path somewhere in the code?

If it was in the code then everyone would have the same problem, right? πŸ™‚

ms-files.php doesn’t exist – even in wp-includes?

Then maybe you didn’t get a full upgrade?

Same issue here, started another thread about it.

Thanks Andrea for helping!

If it was in the code then everyone would have the same problem, right? πŸ™‚

Well, it seems that a lot of people are experiencing a similar issue – and I wonder if it could be restricted to multi-site installs?

There are a lot of threads about images not showing up, images disappearing, media library empty? It’s not just me, but most folks (including me) don’t know why – I just realize that it has something to do with the path. For some reason blogs.dir/1/files is not accessible? But blogs.dir/1/file1 is? Same permissions. And if I change the name of file1 to files it is no longer accessible either.

Then maybe you didn’t get a full upgrade?

Ha! Ha! I found it! Didn’t see it before – but it’s there now!

BTW mine is a single site install

all files are in wp-content/uploads directory. Files are all there but like you said memitch if I try to look at them I get a 404 error.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 86 total)
  • The topic ‘Images not appearing’ is closed to new replies.