Support » Plugin: Head, Footer and Post Injections » 406 Not acceptable error

• Resolved bartk

(@bartk)

I’ve had a weird issue on my site the last few days – a blank page except for “Not acceptable” when trying to add text before a post using the Header & Footer plugin. Once the error occurs I become locked out of the admin area, getting this error on all admin pages, although the public facing pages are still all fine.

Have spent hours trying to resolve it, but to cut a long story short it appears the cause is a cookie. I’m not savvy enough on the technical details to explain why, but anyone else experiencing this problem, if you delete the cookies for your WordPress domain from your browser, you should be able to get back into the admin area again. At least that did the trick for me.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/header-footer/

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plugin Author Stefano Lissa

(@satollo)

Before saving move t another tab, like the seo tab or the general tab. If this solves your problem you have the mod_security installed on apache and it’s badly configured. It is checking the cookies and it find the one storing the current tab believing it is a SQL injection.

Ask the provider to correct the mod_security installation or configuration.

If changing the tab does not solve the problem, let me know.

[ Signature moderated. ]

Thread Starter bartk

(@bartk)

Thanks Stefano, moving to another tab before saving did the trick.

I also found deleting only the cookie “ui-tabs-1” allows access to the admin panel again after being locked out.

The site is hosted at Arvixe. I will ask them to look at their mod_security configuration.

Plugin Author Stefano Lissa

(@satollo)

I just ran into this same problem last night. My hosting company is “A Small Orange”. I did not know what was causing the problem, and it took four hours of working with my hosting company to get it all sorted out last night. I ended up restoring my site from backup. Then I discovered this thread this morning, which clarified the cause of the problem.

Stefano, since jQuery will not be fixing this on their end, is there a way you can revise your plugin to prevent this issue from occurring?

Plugin Author Stefano Lissa

(@satollo)

I’m renaming the tabs to help on this problem, but the problem is not by jquery or my plugin, is the configuration of the mod_security used by your provider.

Anyway, when I finished to rename the tabs it should solve.

Stefano.

Okay, great!

I just filed a bug report with owasp modsecurity also.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘406 Not acceptable error’ is closed to new replies.