WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

jonradio Private Site
[resolved] 406 error in IE for unregistered users. (5 posts)

1. griff701
    Posted 1 year ago #

Hi,

This plugin worked great until a few days ago.

Now with it enabled, any unregistered user trying to access my site in IE gets served a 406 error - "Internet Explorer cannot read this webpage format"

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/jonradio-private-site/

2. jonradio
    Plugin Author

Posted 1 year ago #

Sorry, but I wasn't notified when this post appeared two days ago. I just found it now, and will look into it immediately.

3. griff701
    Posted 1 year ago #

Thats ok :)

I tried another plugin that does something similar to yours, and had the same error.

From the digging I did around google, I believe it might be something to do with my webhosts implementation of mod_sec on apache.

This is one of the most relevant passages I found.

==========
    The good news is this Error 406 is caused by your webhost and has got nothing to do with you. Most of the webhost that offers shared hosting installs ModSecurity, an open source web application firewall to protect their servers from you abusing it and also from being hacked by hackers by using a bunch of rules. One of the example is you cannot run RapidLeech script on some webhost that has a rule to match the text pattern in the script. The first step in attempting to solve this problem is to contact your webhost and ask them to fix it by checking their audit log file and disable the rule for your account.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/fix-wordpress-not-acceptable-error-406/#ixzz2QLHjQsJE
    ===============

and from another thread,

==============

If nothing works, then it's time for a call to your host and ask them about the mod_security and how to disable it for just that one directory (wp-admin).

http://www.warriorforum.com/main-internet-marketing-discussion-forum/338275-wordpress-406-not-acceptable-any-wp-experts-out-there.html

===============
    ===============

I've submitted a ticket to my hosts asking if they recently changed anything - I'll let you know as soon as I receive a reply. :)

4. griff701
    Posted 1 year ago #

Thats ok :)

I tried another plugin that does something similar to yours, and had the same error.

From the digging I did around google, I believe it might be something to do with my webhosts implementation of mod_sec on apache.

This is one of the most relevant passages I found.

==========
    The good news is this Error 406 is caused by your webhost and has got nothing to do with you. Most of the webhost that offers shared hosting installs ModSecurity, an open source web application firewall to protect their servers from you abusing it and also from being hacked by hackers by using a bunch of rules. One of the example is you cannot run RapidLeech script on some webhost that has a rule to match the text pattern in the script. The first step in attempting to solve this problem is to contact your webhost and ask them to fix it by checking their audit log file and disable the rule for your account.

tp://www.raymond.cc/blog/fix-wordpress-not-acceptable-error-406/#ixzz2QLHjQsJE
    ===============

and from another thread,

==============

If nothing works, then it's time for a call to your host and ask them about the mod_security and how to disable it for just that one directory (wp-admin).

tp://www.warriorforum.com/main-internet-marketing-discussion-forum/338275-wordpress-406-not-acceptable-any-wp-experts-out-there.html

===============
    ===============

I've submitted a ticket to my hosts asking if they recently changed anything - I'll let you know as soon as I receive a reply. :)

5. griff701
    Posted 1 year ago #

sorry for the DP

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Plugin

About this Topic

Tags

No tags yet.