WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 404 only on subsite wp-admin pages (6 posts)

1. Mirror242
    Posted 2 years ago #

Okay, i will be surprised if I am repeating apost here, but I have searched high and low today and cannot find anywhere online that has the same issue as me.

My website (http://mirror242.com/) [pardon the Christian undertone, i run the site for my youth group] and we have a couple people that are blogging using their own sub domains (mirror242.com/nick as well as mirror242.com/alicia)

So I can get to the root or main Mirror242 wp-admin and my network admin stiff just fine, it is the other sites that through a godaddy.com 404 page when I try and go to the sub-sites wp-admin or dashboard sections...

any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Mirror242
    Posted 2 years ago #

Sorry, one more thing,

It looks as though the sub-sites do not have a theme, they are just white with text from the posts...

3. Mirror242
    Posted 2 years ago #

wow, I think i figured it out:

thanks to this website:
    http://journalxtra.com/2010/07/how-to-force-multi-site-to-use-subdirectories/

I replaced whatever was in my .htaccess file with

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+)  wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

DONE!

4. Just to point something out to you... That's IN the directions for Creating a Network.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network#.htaccess_and_Mod_Rewrite

You missed a step, is all.

5. astockwell
    Posted 2 years ago #

I also wrestled with this all day today, with the added complication that I'm using a Windows/IIS server. In my case specifically, I had a clean, current WP Network install, all working, and when I'd create and visit sub-sites (using subdirectories), I saw the same thing as @Mirror242 - an unformatted page, and I got a 404 error when trying to view the dashboard/backend/"sub-site/wp-admin/".

The windows fix is what seems to be an error with the web.config code WordPress outputs for you when you install multisite:

WP Code:
    <rule name="WordPress Rule 5" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-(content|admin|includes).*)" ignoreCase="false" />
    <action type="Rewrite" url="{R:2}" />
    </rule>

Corrected Code:
    <rule name="WordPress Rule 5" stopProcessing="true">
    <match url="^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*)" ignoreCase="false" />
    <action type="Rewrite" url="{R:2}" />
    </rule>

Note the second line now has a "(" at col14 and ")?" at col30 and 31.

That fixed both issues! Hope this helps other users begrudgingly using IIS :).

6. astockwell - Since you're using IIS, this is the wrong thread for you :) Remember, if you don't have the SAME problem, adding in 'Me to, except...' makes it harder for folks down the road.

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic