WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

404 on Pages After WP 3.0 MU Install (8 posts)

1. Susan
    Posted 3 years ago #

I upgraged to 3.0.5 and wanted to enable multi-site. I currently have 12 individual WP sites that I would like to network together that have been running for at least 6 months now.

I am only attempting this on one site - not all 12.

I was able to successfully do this (after 3 attempts), however each site had a page and that page no longer showed up after install. (error 404) Posts and all other data were successfully imported.

I researched as much as I could and at first learned that it could be a problem using permalinks. I changed the permalink structure to default and saved and updated site wide, still nothing.

I have not been able to find anything about pages not working.

Then I found out that all sites must be primary domains. They are not. There is one primary and all 11 others are subdomains.

BUT that was the ONLY problem I had and I was wondering if there is any possible work around or plugin or anything that could resolve this issue?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. I am only attempting this on one site - not all 12.

you only need enable the network on one site. ti does not go magically find exisiting installs.

If you are trying to use multisite to manage all those other install, you will need to export them, tear them down and import them into your ONE multisite install.

I was able to successfully do this (after 3 attempts), however each site had a page and that page no longer showed up after install. (error 404) Posts and all other data were successfully imported.

Resave your permalinks.

And verify the page exists on the backend.

Then I found out that all sites must be primary domains. They are not. There is one primary and all 11 others are subdomains.

This is incorrect information. you CAN install multisite in a subfolder or in a subdomains. the subsites are built off of that and are in subfolder or subdomain format by default,. Using primary domains for the rest involves a pguin.

either you read the wrong information or completely misunderstood what you did read.

3. Susan
    Posted 3 years ago #

Hi Andrea_r - thanks so much for replying.

When I stated "I am only attempting this on one site - not all 12." I meant that I installed the network on one site and am only trying to network with one of the sites, instead of attempting to network all 12 sites together before I've done it correctly.

I think you're right, though - I probably misunderstood what I was reading. It's a very involved process.

Thanks again!

4. So...... did you set up the htaccess file? Is it being read? Did you resave permalinks? What's your URL? What host are you on? Is this the primary domain on the account or an add-on?

Yes, all those things may be a factor.

5. Susan
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yes, I followed these instructions:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Migrating_Multiple_Blogs_into_WordPress_3.0_Multisite

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

The URL is rockandroll-ish.com - that is the primary domain. The other 11 sites (which are links that you can find at the top of that site) are all domain add-ons. It would just make sense if they were networked together so that each site can feature another sites post and so on.

We are using Blue Host.

And I created the wild card subdomain.

6. So...... to recap.

you set up multisite.
    you imported a bunch of sites.
    some of the pages on those sites are not working.

Correct so far?

7. Susan
    Posted 3 years ago #

Yes, except I only imported one site - viral-ish.com. It was like a test site to make sure I could get it working properly before I tried networking all the sites together.

But, yes, just the link to the page Upload would show a 404. I had originally used "/name" for the permalink. I tried resaving the permalinks and update site-wide. The page existed on the back-end, but not sure how to make the page visible once the site had been networked. Like it couldn't find the page... does that make sense?

I had to disable the network for now as we need the Upload page to work currently. It's what drives the sites content.

8. make a test site. Don;t import any content.

Go visit the test site. Click on the permalinks. Do they work?

Yes? If so, make a page called upload. does it work?

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic