WordPress.org

Ready to get started?Download WordPress

Forums

[resolved] 404 Not found when updating options (23 posts)

1. nosila
    Posted 8 years ago #

Hi

I've browsed through the threads and found several people have had the same problem as I in this thread http://wordpress.org/support/topic/34165?replies=6 but there seemed to be no definite solution to their problems.

I downloaded and successfully installed WP last night. However when I was trying to change some of the "general options" and click "update" I am directed to http://www.littered.org/wp-admin/updated=true "404 Not Found"

I have installed WP into the root of my domain.

Just wondering if anyone could help shed some light. I would be most thankful :)

Many thanks

2. maerk
    Posted 8 years ago #

That seems to be a bug. There ought to be a file there and a ? delineating between the URL and the query string.

So: example.org/wp-admin/options.php?updated=true

You might consider submitting a bug report, if it repeatedly happens.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Submitting_Bugs

3. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

I have made it's fix. You can download it at http://www.ishbir.com/wpfix1.zip. Unzip the file to you wp-admin directory and replace the previous options.php file. Test it. If any problem mail me a at webmaster(at)ishbir(dot)com.

4. nosila
    Posted 8 years ago #

Hi Maerk - not sure if there are many other people experiencing the same problem as I, is it worth submitting the bug report?

Hi Ishbir - I've tried your options.php file and I'm still having the same problem.

Many thanks

5. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

Read the next post

6. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

Please download it again. I made the file again and did a mistake. Now it is fixed and tested. Download it from the same link.

7. Nazgul
    Posted 8 years ago #

Ishbir: What changes did you make to the options.php file? Because if I do a diff on yours and the original one from 2.0.3, I don't see any differences.

nosila: Do you have mod_security running? If so, read this topic and see if that helps.

8. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

Please download the file again and see the diffrences becuase I uploaded the wrong file with the bug again.

9. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

Please see the differences in the line $goback = add_query_arg('options-general.php?updated', 'true', $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']);. Firstly it was $goback = add_query_arg('updated', 'true', $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']);

10. Nazgul
    Posted 8 years ago #

I just did, and it's still the same as the original.

It's got this line in your download as well:
    $goback = add_query_arg('updated', 'true', $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']);

11. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

Please check it again or download it again and check. This line of '$goback' is different. Open both the files and then navigate to the same line and check it carefully becuase sometime even I can't see the differences.

12. Nazgul
    Posted 8 years ago #

That's why we have comparison tools. :)
    Both Araxis Merge and good old DOS FC declare the files identical.

13. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

Don't use tools, check it by yourself or download the file again and check it yourself.

14. Nazgul
    Posted 8 years ago #

I DID!

I even asked a friend of mine to download it and take a look, but they're identical for him as well.

Evidence

15. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

Have you found the difference or not?

16. Nazgul
    Posted 8 years ago #

No, still no differences.

17. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

I think you have not replaced the file. You are are just viewing the old file. Replace the file and try again. Download it to a different location and test.

18. Nazgul
    Posted 8 years ago #

I just redownloaded it with IE instead of Firefox and now I do see the difference.
    Somehow Firefox was caching the old version for me.
    Sorry for the mix-up.

19. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

Nothing Matters.

Regards,
    Ishbir Singh

20. nosila
    Posted 8 years ago #

Many thanks Ishbir and Nazgul - everything works a treat now! The new options.php file seemed to fix it :D Thanks again guys!

21. fullofwoe
    Posted 8 years ago #

I'm having a similar problem to this. Yesterday and today, I've gotten the message below when I've tried to post a particular entry, but when I've posted three other entries (one just after the error message, one earlier today, and then one just a short while ago), I didn't have any problems. I don't know much about php, but I ran a scan on my My SQL databases and there's nothing wrong with them. I don't have time right now (or for the next two weeks) to troubleshoot and figure out what's wrong on my own...does anyone have any suggestions or know what I can do to fix it?

The message:

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /wp-admin/post.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.36 Server at fullofwoe.org Port 80

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

22. Ishbir
    Posted 8 years ago #

fullofwoe, please start a new thread for this becuase this thread is for the 404 error in Options-General page only.

23. Doug Smith
    Posted 7 years ago #

I had the same (or very similar) problem after upgrading to WordPress 2.1. The above solution didn't help. In this case, it turned out to be a problem with the apache module mod_security. I pointed my hosting provider to this page and they were able to fix it:

http://www.murderthoughts.com/2006/06/10/wordpress-and-mod_security/

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

About this Topic